cleaver <3 omg

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jai

Reaction score
well as the title says ive just fallen in love with my cleaver. i never used to think that much off them they didnt look very versitile in my eyes before i got one, anyway i bought one off jkerr last week it is the konosuke 6# cleaver in w2 and god can it cut. when it first arrived jkerr had put a very nice edge on it and i gave it a test run against some veg, it felt tiring to use but i think i was holding it wrong, i then read a few things on cleavers and technique and gave it a second shot. it was definatly better i felt more in control and less fatigued. 2 days later i thought what the hell why dont i thin it so i spent a couple hours thinning, polishing and sharpening my cleaver. i then gave it a flogging against some potatoes and thats when i realised how amazing these tools are the weight combined with the crazy thinness behind the edge just makes it fall through food like its not even there. i love my gyutos but the feeling you get whem cutting with a cleaver is just awesome. anyway i thought i would share my little exciting experience with you guys. ps go buy a cleaver now.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Kitchen Knife Forum mobile app

I used only a cleaver for the first few years of my apprenticeship.. Loved it over any in house fibrox victrinox knife, that is until i found jknives... I kinda dont touch them much anymore - I can feel early onset RSI and between playing guitar, riding BMX regularly, PC gaming, and working the line and prep, I would rather use something with less heft. I still reach for them every once in a while, generally for rough stuff...

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Konosuke. I'm enjoying the using slightly heavier cleavers at the moment, but i have to admit, it's one of the most natural feeling cleavers I've ever used. It's certainly stupid-thin ootb, can only imagine how it's cutting now; there's not exactly a lot of metal there to thin in the first place :biggrin:

Just out of interest, how are you holding it? Pinch, just the index finger extended or the "peace-sign grip", or something else?

Cheers,
Josh

Even though the question is not directed at me, for large jobs, I extend just my index finger, for more control the peace sign grip. I find myself using the peace grip more and more, especially with heavier cleavers.

Out of curiosity what grip or grips do you use? What are your working cleavers?

Jay

Latest posts

Back