Copper cookware wisdom

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I boiled water for pasta in my new All-Clad copper core 8 qt pot. It seemed fairly fast to me. I think it came to a boil faster than my old China made silver disc pot that I gave away. It seemed to take forever to boil water. I have a gas range with big burners. It is a Viking range. I do like my copper core pans.

I would think a silver disc pot which contained copper would be fast also.

PS
We went to a pasta making class last night. The master pasta maker at Barton Springs Mill taught us about pasta. It was interesting. I guess I will be making fresh pasta a lot nowadays. They make nice high gluten 00 flour for pasta. They make many flours, rye and other things. We have been buying flour from them in the past. It is how we found out about the class.

I love how fast fresh pasta cooks.

Last edited:
My though & experience:

1) If you work on gas stoves, yes. Copper makes BIG different for increasing responsiveness. It’s better than my AC copper core. Boiling is much quicker. Searing is more even and dreamy brown. Stewing is nice. Thumb up for sauces and sweets (mine for jams and chocolates). But I still stick with my Le Creuset and Staub for braising and long stewing, more tender and juicier.

2) I’m a lazy one. Stainless lining is my go-to. Tin is more nonstick than ss but can’t survive over 400F and NEED re-tinning every 10-15 years.

3) Sadly, you should need >2.0mm to utilize the benefit of copper. Chefs require >2.5mm thickness (copper thickness not total thickness).

4) You will need to dedicate some effort to “baby” it. At least, cleaning (hand washing and repolishing), re-tinning or silvering. It easily gets dull.

Copper is my beautiful sweetheart, but it needs some experience to find the sweet spots, too. My go-to stuff is still clad: AC copper core, d3, and d5. Know what? The copper core is nearly 1mm copper thick, equivalent to 1-1.5mm thick total (such as Mauviel M150) but needs much lesssss maintenance and is lightweight.

I like the Mauviel and Soy for skillets and Falk for saucier because Falk has flared rims for easy for pouring. A 5-6 qt Rondeau pan is a further list.

I have recently been using the SS lined copper Debuyer a lot for sauces, on induction, and I absolutely love it to bits over whatever other pans I own and what I've used (ranging from 10euro a pot to Fissler Pro) for sauces that is!

I have recently been using the SS lined copper Debuyer a lot for sauces, on induction, and I absolutely love it to bits over whatever other pans I own and what I've used (ranging from 10euro a pot to Fissler Pro) for sauces that is!

How well does the ss lined copper work on induction? Sounds like you are happy with it, but are there slow heating issues?

How well does the ss lined copper work on induction? Sounds like you are happy with it, but are there slow heating issues?
There are solutions, but I think you give up some of the reason to use copper in the first place if you adapt it to induction. I’d be overjoyed if Marcel disagrees with me, I have no personal knowledge. I tend you use copper perhaps differently, more for sauté pans and soup pots, not as much for sauces.

if you have some already look at this. Heck, look at this anyway:

https://www.falkculinair.com/en/technical-cooking-using-an-induction-plate
seems like I’d be turning my copper sauté pan into a cast iron pan

Last edited:
Back