Custom Kamon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark9fiji

Reaction score
For those who got a custom Kamon, how did you get a slot? First come first serve? Take a quiz and first 25 who get it right gets the slot?

Also, can I see your knives?

Thanks!

He's a member here, and a good guy. If you're serious about wanting a custom, PM him.

Active on IG as well, with many postings of his work. Good place to see what he's up to.

He always says to sign up for his newsletter. At some point he will release another one with more slots. I signed up around the fall of 2020, newsletter came out in October and I secured my spot. Got my order last month. Mass Drop bumped me out a little. Worth the wait and I had a great experience with him.

For those who got a custom Kamon, how did you get a slot? First come first serve? Take a quiz and first 25 who get it right gets the slot?

Also, can I see your knives?

Thanks!

Hey Mark

I currently have a bit of backlog with a lead time of about 1 year and I haven't been able to take custom orders for quite some time now (sry to everyone waiting). I'm usually comfortable with a lead time of about half a year. So that's about what it should be if everything is great as opposed to now where I'm quite overwhelmed with work 😅.

Generally though what you've read here is the safest way to eventually get a custom slot. Sign up for my newsletter and hopefully you'll get a slot once I open some. I'm not completely sure how I'll do that because the slots I'll open will be limited and I expect the demand to be higher than what will be available. So either it's fist come, first serve, or I'll randomly draw a few names out of the applicants.

A message to everyone reading this with questions about my work - pls tag me here. I'll then get notified via mail and can answer. I'm not active in the sense of constantly looking in threads but if you call my name three times I'll haunt... Reply to your question 🐒.

Obviously the man himself has now replied, but just wanted to chime in that I got a custom slot in the way he described and that the lead time was actually what he said it would be (which was nice and I think a bit unusual in this game). The experience in terms of communication was absolutely fantastic, including working with me to solve some issues which were not his fault.

I believe Crocker Cutlery , Unique, Handmade Eating & Cooking Tools | Eatingtools.com , and Modern Cooking | Cooking, Eating & Entertaining are his three retail outlets that occasionally have offerings. And kudos to them for having enough restraint to not just keep them. I would make an awful retailer as I'd just end up not being able to let them go

I think the last couple that @crockerculinary had, he offered in store first for a day or so before offering online. And I believe one or both were sold that way. Since OP is in CA, a quick trip to Sacramento might be in order to snag one there next time?

I obviously can't know exactly what the ones which have sold through retailers would have cost direct, but based on what I paid for my custom I think buying directly from Kamon seems significantly more economical.

Although perhaps not if you're in the States I guess.

I think the last couple that @crockerculinary had, he offered in store first for a day or so before offering online. And I believe one or both were sold that way. Since OP is in CA, a quick trip to Sacramento might be in order to snag one there next time?

I actually snagged a monosteel integral there that I've been meaning to post on the new knife thread. There was also a gigantoku which was sold locally and the 255mm gyuto which appears to have sold on the website. Prices were very fair and Gabriel is also super cool. I spent another hour there with Gabriel just showing me all sorts of gems he has in the shop. Definitely recommend this method

I actually snagged a monosteel integral there that I've been meaning to post on the new knife thread. There was also a gigantoku which was sold locally and the 255mm gyuto which appears to have sold on the website. Prices were very fair and Gabriel is also super cool. I spent another hour there with Gabriel just showing me all sorts of gems he has in the shop. Definitely recommend this method
Was that the Alex Horn 52100? If so, that was a beauty.

Back