• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Dalman Western Honyaki 224mmx52mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDSDeluxe

Reaction score
Hello together,

next I offer my Dalman Western Honyaki Gyuto. The knife was freshly returned from a spa by Robin and is as good as new again.
It's a great knife. But I like the rustic look more. I'm also getting too many new knives in the near future. That's why I let it go.
The knife is slightly nailflexing.
I can't say how it cuts now after the rework, but his rework looks very good.

Dimensions: 224mmx52mm
Weight: 228g
Balance point: 28mm in front of the handle
Taper: choil 3.49, middle 3.22mm, 1cm before the tip 0.57mm
Handle: Western bog oak brass pin
Steel: Swedish carbon steel 65 HRC

I paid €815 for the knife when I bought it new, including all costs. Not including the cost of the spa. I'll cover the costs.
That's why I would like for the knife what I paid when I bought it new.

815€ 750€ 700€ + insured shipping. First of all I want to try to sell it in the EU.

If you have any questions, please DM me.

IMG_6267.jpg
IMG_6269.jpg
IMG_6262.JPG
IMG_6263.JPG
IMG_6259.JPG
IMG_6278.JPG
IMG_6297.JPG

IMG_6509.JPG

Last edited:
Sweet knife! Robin’s stuff is always killer. Maybe I’m imagining things, but the grind looks slightly different from his usual. Was it a custom order, or altered after the fact?

Sweet knife! Robin’s stuff is always killer. Maybe I’m imagining things, but the grind looks slightly different from his usual. Was it a custom order, or altered after the fact?

Curious about this. Knife looks great, but I’d want to know before pulling the trigger. 3rd to last pic in particular makes it look like it has been put on a slack belt or something at some point.

Hi together,

since some are wondering whether Robin has a new grind, I would like to say something about the history of the knife.

It's this knife 220x52 western honyaki

And no, Robin doesn't have a new grind.

When I bought it new back then, I didn't like the cut at all. Uwe Suntravel thinned the cutting edge slightly convex. Unfortunately, the Honyaki was no longer visible as a result. But he did a really good job and the knife cut really well and the food release has improved a lot.

I always thought it was a pity that the Honyaki was no longer visible and the knife no longer had Robin's finish. I also found the handle to be too sharp.
That's why I asked Robin if he would over ride the knife and if he would also give me his grind on the knife.

I was hoping that I could have achieved an even better food release. But Robin said that the slightly convex edge made by Uwe should be good in his opinion. He could redo my concave edge, but if it's thin enough for me, he said it's better to leave it as is.
Robin said the blade grind should not be thinned or changed.

That's how I did it then.

He then restored his finish and rounded the front edges of the grip and eliminated a very small edge deformation in one spot.

I then only had to pay the freight costs. Thanks again to Robin.

It's a great knife. But you know it yourself. At a certain point you only have great knives.

And since too many new ones are coming, it's just a visual decision that it's not rustic enough for me.

I have a really hard time letting go of the knife.
And in my head I have the fight "let it go...no you can't, keep it...let it go....no you can't...lol."

Best regards

Last edited:
6000 Krona to USD, 815 Euro to USD… woof, those VAT taxes are rough, I’d pull the trigger but I’d always be beating myself up for paying for crazy taxes that don’t even apply to me lol
The taxes are really hard here in the eu. It is even harder when you buy in a knife shop that also wants to make profit.
If you buy outside of the eu, we have to pay 19% VAT + 8.5% import tax in Germany from a value of 150€. The value of the goods is added to the freight costs. So if the seller then also sells the goods with the VAT of the country, we pay double the tax 😭

Jeez, that’s insane, what’s the reasoning behind taxing chef knives so much? Is it the same for, say, buying a chef knife at Walmart in the EU? Do they consider them to be a bladed weapon? Could you, hypothetically, rent a PO box in the US, ship it there, then ship to your address in the EU? Since it wouldn’t be a transaction per se, just to ship from one of your “addresses” to another, would that be cheaper?

The product itself is irrelevant. Products have different import tax. The 8.5% is still relatively low. It can be more expensive for other product classes. The 19% VAT is always due. The state in germany already knows how to rip us off citizens.

Definitely. We have a good social system. No one has to live on the streets here if they are not too proud to accept help. We have a good health system. Now that gas prices and electricity prices are going through the roof here in Germany due to the war in Ukraine, we are getting help from the state. It's not all good. But that's whining on a high level

You might have better luck with an EU audience as the VAT is a pretty steep hit for non-EU folks as pointed out.

If you're still able to edit your original post, there's now a "WTS-EU" prefix you could try to catch the attention of EU folks.

You might have better luck with an EU audience as the VAT is a pretty steep hit for non-EU folks as pointed out.

If you're still able to edit your original post, there's now a "WTS-EU" prefix you could try to catch the attention of EU folks.
EU-folks can also see and read threads without that special WTS-EU prefix.

Seller is a great guy and I can highly recommend him!

Back