de Buyer Prima Matera delam

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcelNL

deleted the professional part....so blame taker
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
it happens to blacksmith too...

I heard popping noises after finishing cooking, so I started a hunt for the source.. initially I thought the glass induction top had cracked...but that is in one piece...
The supplier is on it, I expect nothing other than a replacement but we'll see.

20230413_131819.jpg

Did you leave the heat on with the contents of the pan dry?
The popping/delaminating is a known issue if the pan is allowed to overheat (water boiled off and gas kept on an empty pan, or same equivalent on induction)

If you leave the pan on top of an induction plate with contents empty, clad layers will delaminate. It is almost always from overheating. It’s almost impossible to overheat the pan as long as there is some moisture (water) left inside. Once it’s dry, temperatures can ramp up to melting the bonding layers.

I once ruined one of the original All-Clad copper core pans that way. It was a rare one with extra-thick core (both 1mm of aluminum and 1mm of copper). I heard popping and I had let a pot of water boil off and had forgotten the gas stove was on. Tiny copper balls were forming at the exposed copper ring and flying across the kitchen.

It also depends on the process in which the layers were bonded. High temperature bonded copper (like Falk Copper Coeur) is probably less likely to delaminate than All-Clad copper core or DeBuyer Prima Matera. BTW, I’m making a huge plug for Falk Copper because of its value. The clad line is not as pretty as the Debuyer (fully clad with copper essentially hidden), but it is half the price and built like a mofo tank, heats eventually with less than 10% lower heating time than the full on 2.5 mil standard copper line. Also, all copper products have the very functional pouring lip which is almost impossible to find on other copper pans. Again, it has to do with Falk’s technology in how the cookware is made and pressed.

Last edited:
have to confess I reduced the feck out of a sauce once, but not enough to get anywhere near the point where I think delam can occur (the sauce was reduced to nothing and started to caramelize YET, more importantly, the pan started popping weeks before that ...I just was never able to pinpoint the origin of those sounds.

I once ruined one of the original All-Clad copper core pans that way. It was a rare one with extra-thick core (both 1mm of aluminum and 1mm of copper). I heard popping and I had let a pot of water boil off and had forgotten the gas stove was on. Tiny copper balls were forming at the exposed copper ring and flying across the kitchen.
My All Clad copper cores pans don't have silver discs. Maybe are you talking about Emeril line of pans? People list them on ebay under copper core even though they are not.

My All Clad copper cores pans don't have silver discs. Maybe are you talking about Emeril line of pans? People list them on ebay under copper core even though they are not.

This listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304934876556
I used to own a few and they do command a crazy premium on the resale market for people who apparently want the extra aluminum layer because it’s rare and different. They were labeled “Induction”.. maybe All-Clad knew that induction caused additional warping/stresses and they thought it would be useful to add another layer. I’ll take a Falk Copper Coeur any day over All-Clad Copper Core. Twice the copper in the core so no need for another layer of aluminum. I also think the ferromagnetic outer layer on the Falk is more magnetic than the outer layer of the All-Clad. It seems more efficient.

The exposed copper in a Prima Matera is sexy…. As is the exposed copper in the Hestan Copperbond which seems to be in the 1.5mm of copper range.. definitely thinner than Prima Matera.

Last edited:
Back