Deba Sizing

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havox07

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking at picking up a deba, most likely a shig, I can either get a 180 or 225 for roughly the same price, it will only ever be for home use so won't be any fish too large. Is 225 overkill for home then?

Thanks!

Hey guys, looking at picking up a deba, most likely a shig, I can either get a 180 or 225 for roughly the same price, it will only ever be for home use so won't be any fish too large. Is 225 overkill for home then?

Thanks!

I don't know if it would be overkill, but a 225 would probably feel a little bit clumsy on some of your smaller fish.

I have a 210 and don't particularly like to use it on smaller fish for that very reason. If you plan on working with mostly smaller fish like tai, porgies, and pompano, then you might want to go with the 180. Even moderately sized fish like a Spanish mackerel is probably fine with a 180, but for anything much bigger, you'd likely want a larger knife.

Just my opinion, though.

If using for options native to Canada such walleye or northern pike the 180 would probably be a better option. I'm liking the Toyama at JNS but unfortunately they're not for a lefty, and to the extent I need a deba I am usually fine with the 165 misono Carbon. I've come to appreciate the lower HRC for hacking apart turkey backbones too

Just get a 180mm ands you're good. Save some coin too.

If there's to be only one, a 180 would be my choice. I've done whole salmon with 165 and while I did not feel it was to small a little more would have been nice. Don't think a 180 it would unwieldy for smaller fish. Currenly have a 150 and a 210 Miroshi - they'll handle any fish I catch and any I can afford to buy.

+1 for the 180 as well. I have both a 180 and 225 Shig deba, the 225 weighs in at 449 grams, you feel like slaughtering a small animal with chunk of metal. Unless you go for large fish, the 180 is a fantastic knife.

Thanks!
When I was putting my kit together, all of the more experienced people (amongst which Jon) who I turned to for advice highly encouraged me to start with a 180mm to learn the technique and go from there. Now having some experience with the deba, I would repeat that same advice — bigger sizes are unwieldy for the inexperienced (180mm deba is already quite the knife) and in many cases overkill unless breaking down big fish.

Awesome thanks for all the responses guys! Will be putting an order in for a 180.

The Uraku on BST is tempting but I think I should go for a shig to match my yanagiba. Placing an order for a 180 Kasumi.

So one year wait lol. Someday I'll buy a shig... Maybe.

Back