Did I Buy A Fake Shun?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyChef

Reaction score
Hi all, glad to be a new member of this great forum!

So...

I bought this knife on eBay. The seller listed it as a Shun. I understand Kai is part of Shun, but the knife markings don't seem to match anything I can find on the web. I hope I didn't get screwed... This is my first Damascus steel knife, and it looks almost like the pattern is embossed on the knife, but I'm not sure. I've never actually seen Damascus steel up close.

Here are a few pics of the knife:

2017-05-12%2019.38.48_zpsbmv9doct.jpg

2017-05-12%2019.38.57-1_zpszjs5agn0.jpg

2017-05-12%2019.39.12_zpsui9zaxca.jpg

2017-05-12%2019.45.23_zpsznrbzjgm.jpg

Kai isn't a "part" of Shun, it is Shun's parent company.

What you have is, I think, a "gray market" knife, that is, one that was not intended for North American distribution. However, it is the same knife as a Shun, just lacking the Shun markings.

As far as the damascus cladding is concerned, it is not "embossed", but is, indeed, composed of multiple layers. It has not been etched as some damascus cladding is, so the surface is smooth and appears that it could be a surface treatment.

In Europe FWIK Shun knives are know as Kai.

Yes, KAI group owns Shun. Since damascus pattern tends to fade over time, I don't think it is a fake knife.

I recognize the markings. They are from early versions of Shun Classic, where the Shun logo on one side, and simple printed text in the other, including Kai and model #. Newer versions still have this info, but it's printed smaller and the Shun logo is on both sides. However, from your pictures, the markings are reversed (on opposite sides). Did you buy a left handed handle version? (The ridge edge is on the left instead of the right)

Thanks guys. Yes, it's a left handed model. I didn't realize that when I bid on it. But, the only thing "lefty" about it is the hasp, and it actually feels quite comfortable in my right hand.
BTW, the auction went to $71 and I won. I guess it's a fair price if it's genuine.

Lots of VERY helpful information - I appreciate all of your answers! Man, am I glad I found this forum!

So of course it must be an original, somebody going to the trouble of making a whole fake knife would never dare to put a fake logo on it ...

Would you like to support your implication that it's counterfeit with any kind of evidence?

Thanks guys. Yes, it's a left handed model. I didn't realize that when I bid on it. But, the only thing "lefty" about it is the hasp, and it actually feels quite comfortable in my right hand.
BTW, the auction went to $71 and I won. I guess it's a fair price if it's genuine.

It's a good price. The markings are the same as mine that i bought from a official retailer.

Typically Shun R /L handedness is all in the handle. I'm a righty but find the left handed D quite comfortable. (Still a Shun though)

I prefer most left handed things. Forks, footballs, brooms, all best when left handed.

It's real. You've experienced first hand one of the few reasons Shun knives are underwhelming.

Way to be welcoming. Some of you folks have nothing better to do than troll newcomers to this forum?

Latest posts

Back