Dinner Failure

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm still wicked frustrated with myself and embarrassed from last night.

We had some friends over for impromptu dinner and game night. Decided I'd make something nice and picked up a rump roast, make some ratatouille, potato layonnaise, and asparagus. I knew I was pushing it for time, not getting home til after 5, but figured I could do it no problem.

I could not.

I was just making so many stupid mistakes while rushing. The ratatouille was sloppily assembled(and honestly I could have done a better job cutting the squash). Also, the herb/oil could have been spread better and it wasn't covered properly.
I should have used more butter and no oil on the potatoes and probably added more salt.
The asparagus was over-cooked trying to keep it warm.

The worst and most embarrassing was the beef. Firstly, it was under-salted and seasoned, but worse I was a moron. I panicked trying to get everything warm and instead of letting it cool and settle I freaking overcook it.
After having it just about perfect.
To crown it off, everyone has now been waiting, so I panick and cut the beef while it's still hot 🤦‍♂.

I can't even tell you what I was thinking, I wasn't even drinking!

Needless to say dinner was a disappointment and embarrassment. Especially after one of them had gotten super excited about me cooking and everyone on the chat was looking forward to dinner.

I knew that if I just had kept my cool and planned things right I could have avoided the worst of the mistakes easily.
Lesson learned for the future I suppose. Anyway, thanks for attending my rant!

Sorry to hear, but I'm willing to bet that not only were all your guests gracious -- and complimentary -- but this was an instance when you were by far your own harshest critic. That's pretty typical, especially when entertaining guests and setting high expectations/standards for yourself.

My main criterion of success when preparing dinner for a guest is that they don't get indigestion, and actually finish what was on their plate. Maybe even smiling.

I had this happen to me as well. I've found it's best to take the time needed and let people know that things will be later than I expected rather than feeling time pressure and letting anxiety lead me to simple errors that I beat myself up about. Hopefully next time will be better!

Last edited:
no shame.

everytime i cook i try to learn something new. meaning: i continuously learn, for sure, but most of the meals i cook are … a crapshoot.
since i rarely go back and actually play it safe or follow strict recipes, i've made peace with the fact that 'interesting' is as much of a goal as 'good'.
now, guests might feel different, but that's where the alcohol comes in.

did a smaller catering gig (50 ppl), for the first time, a few weeks ago. of course i played it safer and was super prepared. but i'm all for winging it otherwise.

cook. drink. fail. in any order you like. it's all good.

i feel your pain. i put way too much pressure on myself when i cook for friends. most of them are cavemen and couldnt tell i burnt the browned butter anyways. i think everyone appreciates the effort including your guest. i bet they had a great time.

i have since minimized my dinner plans with friends. mostly stuff i already cooked and i can pull out of a warm oven. i want to have fun too, so i dont want too much cooking left to do.

Back