Dry Age at Home

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just watched this video the other day, seems like lot less weight loss with butter, but it doesn't have the real funky dry aged flavor either..

Just watched this video the other day, seems like lot less weight loss with butter, but it doesn't have the real funky dry aged flavor either..

Nah ur right i guess u cant have both.
But if u made a cloth dryage with Jack Daniels. And then Down in the butter i Think you could get a pretty decent result, and instead of doing 60 days. Then do 120
Next projekt [emoji851]

Nah ur right i guess u cant have both.
But if u made a cloth dryage with Jack Daniels. And then Down in the butter i Think you could get a pretty decent result, and instead of doing 60 days. Then do 120
Next projekt [emoji851]

BTW he’s spreading the butter in that vid, he should make the butter more soft so he Can sink the ribeye Down into it, so it gets 100 % covered.
Not sure if it would have a effect besides it gets airtight

Awesome video.

Speaking of long aging, about a month when in NYC, I went to Cote (Michelin starred Korean steakhouse) and had a 150 day dry aged ribeye. It was great. . . almost a blue cheese like flavor. . . I would highly recommend Cote.

If u want to skip the dryage bags.
You Can always use butter.
It sounds messy, but would be cheaper. The UMAi bags aren't cheap.

I guess the butter is breathable enough to allow the meat to still lose moisture? I hadn't heard of this method of dry ageing before…

IMG_2721.jpg
IMG_2722.jpg
IMG_2227.jpg

Here's a simple 45 day dry-aged prime grade ribeye from a roast from Costco. After aging, I trim and vac-seal them and save for later sous-vide prep, which I did with this steak actually two days ago, and was just reheating for serving. Originally cooked at 132 for 90 minutes. This one was re-heated at the same temp for about 15 minutes.

View attachment 55347

View attachment 55348

Pan sauce is built on previously made demi glaće. I usually pan sear the steak in a mixture of melted butter and cheap olive oil, a few cloves of garlic and fresh thyme. Take the garlic out before even adding the steak, trying to prevent burning/bitterness. The steak browns nicely in the flavorful fat, aided by the carefully patting dry before laying it in the pan, forms a beautiful brown crust quickly.

View attachment 55349

My mistakes show, I should have turned the garlic about 45 seconds earlier and pulled it before getting to this level of brownness. It was a tad bitter. Together with the mushrooms, they rejoined the pan sauce right at the end to tighten up the sauce.

View attachment 55350

View attachment 55351

The fond incorporated with a whisk. Hasn't yet developed a beautiful color. That comes with the addition of the demi and/or stock.

View attachment 55352

I probably wouldn't bother with a pan sauce like this without homemade demi glaće. I get broken pan sauces occasionally, but I don't mind if the flavor's on point.

View attachment 55353

The twiggy parts of the thyme get removed, the garlic is already out, mushrooms in, sautéed until they give up their moisture and condense their flavor intensity. Then they join the pan seared garlic and set aside. I remove the majority of the fat from the pan, deglaze with some chicken broth, a splash of dry sherry and whisk to incorporate the fond. Towards the end, a splash of half & half or heavy cream goes in as well as a knob of my frozen demi glaće whisked to incorporate and taste, season with S&P and rounded out at the last second with sherry vinegar to balance the rich fattiness of the sauce. I didn't have any fresh parsley which would have boosted the color but oh-well.

View attachment 55354

Nice Vermouth for martini

I recognize that the conversation has moved well beyond this but I have been feeling bad about not posting the pics. I never realized you could post pics directly from iPhone. Here is my setup. Everything except the fridge is from Amazon. Results have been superlative:
IMG_3443.jpg
IMG_3441.jpg
IMG_3442.jpg

It is a fridge with a Humidistat, humidifier, Dehumidifier, USB Fans, germicidal UV lamp, data logging thermo-hygrometer, and a rack with some filter media to keep condensation off the meat in the tight space. The part I am proudest of is the “Beer Coozy Conduit”. I cut an opening in the gasket in the part behind the magnet, slid in the coozy and used flexible silicone to seal. I fed all of the wires through and the neoprene coozy compresses around them forming a really tight seal.

IMG_2962.jpg

Last night I cooked some 100 plus day dry aged prime ribeye. Unfortunately I forgot to take photos or weigh when trimming but at 100 plus days (I forgot exactly when I put it in), you have some serious loss. I would guess less than half of the original weight was there when I portioned it up - obviously some is fat trimming that I wouldn’t eat regardless.

It was really great, not quite the blue cheese flavor I’ve had with other extreme aged beef, but almost there...

Can you do anything with those dry boys or do you just toss them to the dogs?
I just pulled a beef tenderloin out of its bag after 45 days. Starting weight was 1.9 kg, finishing weight was 1.0 kg. Pretty dramatic weight loss.

More crust of dry meat around the perimeter this time, 3 mm thick, I'd say. Rather than throwing the scraps away, I decided to try and make some stock. I cut the off-cuts into 5 mm wide strips and tossed them into a pot of water (about 2 litres), with four smashed garlic cloves, a bay leaf, and half a teaspoon of salt.

Got quite a nice stock out it. No funky notes, tastes just like normal beef stock (but without the richness you get from beef bones). I tasted the off-cuts after they'd cooked for an hour or two. Pretty much what you'd expect: they taste like boiled beef (that is, deadly boring and mostly flavourless).

Costco has NY strip loins on sale through tomorrow, Prime, 8.99 lb + 25 bucks off.
Yea , I could not resist, now resting in a 34 degree fridge for a few weeks.

Back