eating LOTS of vegetables

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I had pre diabetes in blood test I checked out several books from library on reversing it through diet.

It was a learning experience. Made me realize how much processed food we eat. I cut out sugar completely. Read labels amazed how much high fructose corn syrup & refined sugar is in all kinds of products. Even make my own salad dressing because of all the crap in many commercial brands. I do the cooking so we both lost weight. No processed foods, sugar & dairy except little butter. I had a belly it was gone in 4 months 30# from 174 to 140 on 5'8" frame. In 3 years since my weight between 140-145. Blood sugar went down. I eat whole fruits it has fiber as do complex carbs. Used to drink lots of fruit juice cut that out.

I see a stuff on line it's snake oil just to get your money. Some say to lose weight cut out carbs & fruit. And take their pills as a cure all. Most folks who live healthy long lives don't take any pills.
Even complex carbs I just eat smaller portions. Eat big salads. With my exercise need complex carbs. Many fruits are loaded with nutrition.

Not as strict as was at first, but with training walks & hiking don't gain any weight.

Good info Michi. Keep up the good work.

Not sure what you want to say here but yeah, the brain needs lots of carb.
I am not an expert on this complex topic but I find that amongst those many studies it is quite clear though that your carb intake is not supposed to be 100% simple sugars like fruit sugars but rather complex carb that your body slowly intakes.

In the end fruit sugar is not much better than that white refined sugar.
Look at the US and other western countries how many diabetics they have these days. And that is only one bad consequence of simple sugars.
(gut microbiome, aging, cancer).

But anyways, this topic is huge and complex and better left to experts.
Lets get back to the really good shxt: vegetables.

I personally am far from a perfect diet. I love cheese and greasy stuff.
I eat little sweets (with exceptional days now and then) and little meat as my GF is vegetarian.
But i also eat lots of vegetables.
My doc asks every time what i am eating after the blood results and i say little meat and lots of vegetables.
" it is quite clear though that your carb intake is not supposed to be 100% simple sugars like fruit sugars but rather complex carb that your body slowly intakes." This is a logical fallacy. You might want to study the subject of Logical Fallacy. In this case I would say it's a Red Herring logical fallacy. A diet of 100% simple sugars has nothing to do with the subject matter at hand here. Also we are not talking about fruit sugar, we are talking about fruit. Double Red Herring. Also you seem to not be aware of the subject of glycemic index and glycemic load.
1703866313270.png
1703866380622.png

When I had pre diabetes in blood test I checked out several books from library on reversing it through diet.

It was a learning experience. Made me realize how much processed food we eat. I cut out sugar completely. Read labels amazed how much high fructose corn syrup & refined sugar is in all kinds of products. Even make my own salad dressing because of all the crap in many commercial brands. I do the cooking so we both lost weight. No processed foods, sugar & dairy except little butter. I had a belly it was gone in 4 months 30# from 174 to 140 on 5'8" frame. In 3 years since my weight between 140-145. Blood sugar went down. I eat whole fruits it has fiber as do complex carbs. Used to drink lots of fruit juice cut that out.

I see a stuff on line it's snake oil just to get your money. Some say to lose weight cut out carbs & fruit. And take their pills as a cure all. Most folks who live healthy long lives don't take any pills.
Even complex carbs I just eat smaller portions. Eat big salads. With my exercise need complex carbs. Many fruits are loaded with nutrition.

Not as strict as was at first, but with training walks & hiking don't gain any weight.
Great work Keith. I will try to use you and Michi as examples to follow as I sure could use a loss of at least 20 lbs. You guys have good habits and good discipline.

If I ever had to give a one-line diet advice that I think works reasonably well for most people it'd be:
"Cook from scratch with whole ingredients". Almost by default you'll have a healthy(er) diet, you cut out all the processed crap and at that point you automatically cut out most of the refined carbs and sugars. I have a hunch that this is the 'common factor' that leads to so many people having specular results with just about any extreme diet (whether it's 'full vegan', 'full carnivore', 'paleo' or whatever else).
I think the amount of exercise you do certainly helps though. Back when I was still doing 15-20 hrs of sports a week I could get away with eating the most ridiculous things. :D
Also you seem to not be aware of the subject of glycemic index and glycemic load.
View attachment 290145View attachment 290147
To be fair... if you were relying on mainstream / government advice, those terms don't exactly figure prominently... and the mainstream / government advice (and maybe most of the research too) over the last few decades focused very prominently on macronutrients and counting calories.
It was only a few years ago that our national food advice center was still recommending fruit juices and a carb-focused diet. Now I guess the pendulum shifted away a bit... but the waters are getting muddied a lot by environmentally motivated advice creeping in.

Watched the Blue Zone on Netflix about 5 places on Earth where people live long active productive lives many 100 years. When they ask how you like show I checked highest rating. That put me on all the food agenda shows. I know only USA longest living group are vegitarian for religious reasons. So I watched several of the all plant based shows. I might believe them more if not so much save the planet stuff & eating modern production meat will kill you.
I do believe that a plant base diet is good. As long as from scratch & complex carbohydrates.

Just made large whole wheat grain tortilla with mashed sweet potato, cumin, lime juice. Black beans. Saute with little olive oil mushrooms, red onion, bell pepper, broccoli. Brown tortilla in carbon pan. Load half with ingredients. Other half spoon thin pieces avocado spread with a knife. Add washed arugula from garden.

Fold cut into hand held pie shapes. It was a hit with better half, I'm going to start making more vegetarian meals. No dairy, except eggs that are loaded with nutrients & Fish. No other meats for a while she is fine with that. I also plan to fast one day a week only drinking water. See if I can do that.

Back