Ebony Handles from Knives & Stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went from shiny black (that didn’t really look like wood to my eye) to this. Also rounded the top edge of ferrule

Sanded down my KnS handle today and there was definitely some blackish violet stuff on it because it discolored the corian spacer until everything was gone.
The handle is still very dark but shows some nice grain under good lighting but is almost impossible to photograph.

Not sure about the glue, a little something I would guess was some hot glue or silicone came off out of the cavity between handle and blade. Filled the spot with the same hard wood wax that I applied to the handle.

What grit did you guys sand with?

Yes & must be careful sanding a octagon handle esp. with blade attached. You don't want to round the edges off too much. Unless don't mind then it's OK.

@lemeneid If hot glued Robin Dalman told me to heat knife in 190F oven for 5-10 minutes and handle will pull off
Considered that, but I am VERY wary of the oven method, tempering can start from as low as 60C depending on the steels

Considered that, but I am VERY wary of the oven method, tempering can start from as low as 60C depending on the steels

What’s a steel that would be tempered that low? Basically all the temps I see on a list like this one are above 300F. I seem to remember @RDalman making some comment about common temps in another thread, too, but I don’t remember where. (I’d be interested in seeing another list like the one linked, if there’s a better one.)

What’s a steel that would be tempered that low? Basically all the temps I see on a list like this one are above 300F. I seem to remember @RDalman making some comment about common temps in another thread, too, but I don’t remember where. (I’d be interested in seeing another list like the one linked, if there’s a better one.)

Yes I have never heard anyone tempering in less than 150c (300f). Below that it would be called aging imo.
What I would worry sooner about is roasting the wood of going north of say 120c.

Back