Favorite dish for trying out a new knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mother was Japanese, thus a lot of Japanese cooking going on. Like chili, homemade can be much, much better than at a restaurant. In fact, if I want it made the "right way", aka Moms, I make it myself. Never had it in a restaurant that compared. It involves a lot of cutting of vegetables and other ingredients such as tofu, as well as cutting the right thickness of the meat you'll be using. I'll learn a lot about a knife in the process, such as how well it slices the meat into just the right thickness and how well it does on slicing things such as green onions just the way Mom would have liked.

My mother was Japanese, thus a lot of Japanese cooking going on. Like chili, homemade can be much, much better than at a restaurant. In fact, if I want it made the "right way", aka Moms, I make it myself. Never had it in a restaurant that compared. It involves a lot of cutting of vegetables and other ingredients such as tofu, as well as cutting the right thickness of the meat you'll be using. I'll learn a lot about a knife in the process, such as how well it slices the meat into just the right thickness and how well it does on slicing things such as green onions just the way Mom would have liked.

Thanks Keith, that sounds great! Love me some good chili and nothing ever compares to mom's home cooking (well dad's cooking in my case - my mom will be the first to tell you she can't cook to save her life)! That does sound like a good knife testing recipe.

I have 2 primary dishes for trying out a new knife. (Watch out, Danny is about to spin in his grave) Chicken chili is one.

The second stir fried vegetables (carrots, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, bok choy, cabbage, etc), usually served with pork tenderloin to try out removal of silverskin and slicing the cooked protein.

Bringing this thing back up.

Never understood this. But I really wanted to test my new cleaver. I made French onion soup. Blasted thru the onions with precision and zero tears. Decided to deconstruct the traditional dish and do the bread and cheese as a sandwich for dipping.

Man! I am a cleaver fan! Rethinking my kitchen knife “pecking order”

Attachments

• 69340133-954D-4779-8B40-B042CFF40045.jpeg
    69340133-954D-4779-8B40-B042CFF40045.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 69
Beef stew - Chopping vegetables, pieces of beef from whole roast.

Bringing this thing back up.

Never understood this. But I really wanted to test my new cleaver. I made French onion soup. Blasted thru the onions with precision and zero tears. Decided to deconstruct the traditional dish and do the bread and cheese as a sandwich for dipping.

Man! I am a cleaver fan! Rethinking my kitchen knife “pecking order”
How was the cleave on the horizontal cuts?

Edit: Realised I just necroed this post- sorry.

Last edited:
How was the cleave on the horizontal cuts?

Edit: Realised I just necroed this post- sorry.

Haha. It’s great on the horizontal cuts! I’ve never been great it it. Today (I’m prepping for tomorrow’s meatloaf) I pushed the envelope; I made FIVE horizontal cuts. It all stayed together. I had the tiniest dice. I think the wide blade gives me a visual reference as to how I’m going into the onion. It’s been fun.

I set the knife down. Reaching for something I brushed against the edge. I git the cleanest cut. Almost like a paper cut. Cutting peppers stung!

I think the wide blade gives me a visual reference as to how I’m going into the onion.

I set the knife down. Reaching for something I brushed against the edge. I git the cleanest cut. Almost like a paper cut. Cutting peppers stung!

Interesting. I hadn't considered the benefit of a larger blade imoroving the visual reference.

Those really clean cuts sometimes bleed like stink. Bloody inconvenient in the middle of prep. Hope it heals up soon.

A long time ago it was questioned here about letting my pois get all limp by leaving them in the fridge unwrapped. I said that I don't notice a flavor difference of limp carrots and celery (onions going limp is not good) but leaving frozen garlic cloves in the fridge (on a plate) for a couple days is the most satisfying thing to cut. limp celery and carrots are nice but the texture of the slightly dehydrated clove is weirdly awesome. So smooth so silky.

Back