Favorite wireless ear buds?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I know AirPods are popular and well liked, but spending $200+ on ear buds when I’m fairly sure other options can be just as good, doesn’t seem right.

What do you guys use? Any recommendations?

Not personal experience since I use all over the ears, but this is a very in depth reviewer who mainly focuses on IEMs and he has a buying guide for wireless buds: Buyer's Guide: Best True Wireless Earphones of 2022 – In-Ear Fidelity

When I was big into hifi (still enjoy my setups, just don't read up on anything new) he was the guy everyone went to for IEM info

Not personal experience since I use all over the ears, but this is a very in depth reviewer who mainly focuses on IEMs and he has a buying guide for wireless buds: Buyer's Guide: Best True Wireless Earphones of 2022 – In-Ear Fidelity

When I was big into hifi (still enjoy my setups, just don't read up on anything new) he was the guy everyone went to for IEM info
Should add I’m not TOO fussed about sound quality - my main issue has always been ear buds falling out which is why I haven’t used them since before iPhones even went cordless.

Really looking for that sweet spot of price/audio quality/build quality/ease of use (probably the same for most).

Last edited:
I have considerable experience with earphones. I have a whole box full of tried and discarded ones. What I have settled on is regular wire-type earphones paired with either an FiiO BTR15 or a BTR7. FiiO makes very, very good BT DAC/Amp that can also double as a wired USB DAC. The huge advantage you have going this way is the sound. I use the Etymōtic ER4SRs with the BTR15 and Shure SE-425s with the BTR7. Both of the devices have excellent microphones and work without a hitch with phone calls. They are both BT 5.1, HiRez digital, THX, MOA, and all of the HiFi BT codex's including AAC. The advantage of going this route is the quality of the earphones. The Etymōtic and Shure earphones sound fantastically better than most IEM wireless earphones. This holds true for the wired AKG, Sony, JVC, Sennheiser, etc. both of these phone amps support true balanced audio feed to your earphones if they have this option. Balance feed gives each earphone it own +/- feed, they don't share a common ground as in an unbalanced feed, this makes for a significant improvement in sound quality. Both the BTR7 and BTR15 have 8 to 10-hour batteries. The BTR7 can drive easy-to-power headphones like the AKG 240 MkII's. What is interesting is both of the devices can pair nicely with an Apple Watch.

https://www.fiio.com/btr7
https://www.fiio.com/BTR15

Timely as I just researched new ear buds. I wear mine 50% while riding a bicycle and I don't like not being aware of my surroundings with other users around. That limits options to open ear designs and that is what I thought I'd buy. Then I stumbled across a really funky design from Sony. These are the Linkbuds. Watched the YT reviews and decided to get a pair. Been wearing for the past 2 weeks and impressed by the sound and functionality. Cool, tactile charging case and more than adequate sound quality/volume given the design. Everything is made from recycled plastic

https://electronics.sony.com/audio/headphones/truly-wireless-earbuds/p/wfl900-w

Timely as I just researched new ear buds. I wear mine 50% while riding a bicycle and I don't like not being aware of my surroundings with other users around. That limits options to open ear designs and that is what I thought I'd buy. Then I stumbled across a really funky design from Sony. These are the Linkbuds. Watched the YT reviews and decided to get a pair. Been wearing for the past 2 weeks and impressed by the sound and functionality. Cool, tactile charging case and more than adequate sound quality/volume given the design. Everything is made from recycled plastic

https://electronics.sony.com/audio/headphones/truly-wireless-earbuds/p/wfl900-w
What you observed about the sound quality is so true. You don't need super fidelity everywhere you go. This is why I am going to get a set of Apple Pro AirPod 2's. They will function in very useful ways with my iPhone and Apple Watch. while I am out and about.

Might be the ones. Appreciate the quick find & recommendation!

Edit - bought them. If I do end up not liking them they’ll be my wife’s Christmas gift 😅
I have the Sony WF-SP800N ones and really am pleased. Comfortable to wear for 6+ hours at a time, don't fall out of your ears, good sound quality for price. They are noise canceling regardless but the explicit noise canceling mode I don't care for unless on a plane with a constant ambient noise. Long battery life and I haven't had any issues in the ~2 years I've had them, which is a longer life than most earbuds get.

I have the Sony WF-SP800N ones and really am pleased. Comfortable to wear for 6+ hours at a time, don't fall out of your ears, good sound quality for price. They are noise canceling regardless but the explicit noise canceling mode I don't care for unless on a plane with a constant ambient noise. Long battery life and I haven't had any issues in the ~2 years I've had them, which is a longer life than most earbuds get.
My last pair of Jaybirds lasted 10 years. Great sound quality, sill, but battery life was suffering and after loosing the ear wing decided to try something else better suited for urban travel. They were also connected to one another via a wore so not as convenient as independent ear pieces.

said above, but the sony Wf-1000xm4 are very great. super secure, sound great, and have good noise cancelling. i've gone on many road bike rides, rock climbs, runs on these and have never had them fall out. only thing to note is that they are not waterproof (wearing in rain ok, i just wouldnt wear them in the shower or in a pool).

Might be the ones. Appreciate the quick find & recommendation!

Edit - bought them. If I do end up not liking them they’ll be my wife’s Christmas gift 😅
I use these for my zoom/teams calls at work. I don’t find them to be super comfortable (clunky). Sound is fine.

I have AirPods and for the convenience of my Apple ecosystem, they work well for me. Another less expensive option that I don’t mind for the cost is the Anker Souncore Libery Air 2. I think the current versions is the 4.

I use these for my zoom/teams calls at work. I don’t find them to be super comfortable (clunky). Sound is fine.

I have AirPods and for the convenience of my Apple ecosystem, they work well for me. Another less expensive option that I don’t mind for the cost is the Anker Souncore Libery Air 2. I think the current versions is the 4.
I have an iPhone and Apple Watch.
No apple laptop.

I’ve never fully understood how air pods “fit into the ecosystem”. They’re just wireless headphones that connect via Bluetooth. I guess the “find my” is convenient but what else, really? Other ear buds are able to do phone calls & what not just fine

I have an iPhone and Apple Watch.
No apple laptop.

I’ve never fully understood how air pods “fit into the ecosystem”. They’re just wireless headphones that connect via Bluetooth. I guess the “find my” is convenient but what else, really? Other ear buds are able to do phone calls & what not just fine

I fully recognize the problem I’m solving for is truly first world, cry me a river type shyt. I have an iPad, iPhone, Apple TV and MacBook. I mostly use the latter 3. Non-Apple Bluetooth when turned on will usually connect to the last device it was paired with. If that is my phone and I need to use it on my MacBook, I usually have to turn my Bluetooth off on my phone to free up the device for my MacBook. It’s a little annoying and sometimes I have trouble connecting to my MacBook. With the AirPods, their technology allows you to seamlessly tap them on your device and they will switch over. Not the most critical feature but it’s nice to have for my purposes, especially when I’m about to be late for a Zoom call because I was stuffing my face hole.

Back