First post, first real Japanese knife recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colfishnski

Reaction score
I'm a noob. Been studying this site for a week and am a bit overwhelmed. I stepped up to some Shun classics about a year ago from 25 year old Germans. A new world and new techiques. Now, like my typical obsessions, I'd like to jump in and see if there's something really worthy of such time and attention for me, such as this whole new world of true handmade J knives. I'm patient, willing to learn, and am an avid home cook. I cook mostly a meat and veggie diet, with just a little fruit.

I'm looking for a decent quality entry point. I'm willing to learn sharpening.

WHERE
USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Larger Gyotu or Kiritsuki. Maybe a nikiri.

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240 or so, kind of a big ass knife

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
First J knife, under 150 if possible, to see if it's a thing for me.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Lots of veggies and boneless meats, lots of stir fry. Will not use for heavier tasks. Lots of onion, garlic, peppers, bok choy, greens, etc.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? A few Shuns, which despite the comments, really showed me another way.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Usually pinch.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Push, pull, and rocking. Willing to learn new skills.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Like you, I'm a freak for something better. I don't dislike the Shuns, just want to dip my toe.

Better aesthetics - something from a craftsmans hand

Comfort - love Japanese handles

Ease of Use and Care - I'm willing to care for it

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? More toward retention. I've yet to chip a Shun after almost a year, so think I can handle the harder steels.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? Have several hinoki and edge grain maple and walnut.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Have dabbled by hand with mixed results. Have a, gasp, Chefschoice 15 degree machine. It will obviously not be used on this knife, but I'll be damned if it doesn't put a usably sharp edge on most things.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? Sure.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Properly, but economy first to start.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS - thanks!

Back