First Post!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I am professional Cook with a passion for knives. I started in the past 2 years collecting knives. I only have five now and looking to add more. I will post some pics one of these days. I hope this forum helps me find the better knifes among the ton blade smiths and brands. I personally do not like a lot Japanese knives, I much prefer knives from the rest of the world. Perhaps one of you could tell me who are you favorite non-Japanese knives.

Hi, and welcome!
If pressed I would say that F Dick and some Lion/K/Elephany Sabatier knives are my favs among the non-Japanese (and non-customized) knives. Enjoy the ride!

Reactions: T85
Welcome aboard!
Ever tried Japanese knives with Western handles? What exactly do you dislike about Japanese knives?
My favourites are harder carbons by Robert Herder, vintage carbon Sabatiers and Sheffields.

Carl ..; what F. Dick steel would you recommend for harder Japanese steel ... say HRC 61 and above?

Oh, I wouldn’t know. I seldom hone, and when I do I use an old Mac ceramic.
I used to own a Wüsthof Diamond rod, but it was stolen at work and I never replaced it [emoji848]

Last edited:
Oh, I wouldn’t know. I seldom hone, and when I do I use and old Mac ceramic.
I used to own a Wüsthof Diamond rod, but it was stolen at work and I never replaced it [emoji848]
Diamond rods are crazy aggressive. You wouldn't touch up with a 320 stone, wouldn't you?

Dickoron Micro. Almost polished. Oval. Use with a very light touch and respect the edge's asymmetry.
With very hard ones (>62Rc) it won't do much, as they don't get out of true. For refreshing, which is probably nothing else than removing some micro-corrosion, use simply cardboard, leather, denim, even the palm of your hand. Do not use your pants. It will considerably reduce its life span, the pants' I mean.

Welcome aboard!
Ever tried Japanese knives with Western handles? What exactly do you dislike about Japanese knives?
My favourites are harder carbons by Robert Herder, vintage carbon Sabatiers and Sheffields.
Hello Benuser! My first knife was two knives were Japanese. The first one was a Mcusta gyuto, then I got a Takeda, which I still have. I like it a lot, but then I got a Carter MS and to me the difference was night and day. I find them more interesting, artistic, and perform better. I feel that the rest of the world has just as much (I think more) tradition than japan. I think Japanese knives are a bit over rated because of the romanticization of the Katana in novels and movies.

Last edited:
I’m testing how upload picture. So here I got my last two purchases. On the left it my Kamon santoku 230mm 1.2519 steel with his signature torpedo handle in Maduro birch wood, I’m very impress with this knife so far. On the right there is Carter MS Nakiri 181 mm white #1 , great knife my favorite as of now, it has done a tons of mise en place and still strong. I will post the other three knives I have later! What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 16C14B68-E780-4BA8-B527-178ABCE5DF8F.jpeg
    16C14B68-E780-4BA8-B527-178ABCE5DF8F.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 67
Hello Benuser! My first knife was two knives were Japanese. The first one was a Mcusta gyuto, then I got a Takeda, which I still have. I like it a lot, but then I got a Carter MS and to me the difference was night and day. I find them more interesting, artistic, and perform better. I feel that the rest of the world has just as much (I think more) tradition than japan. I think Japanese knives are a bit over rated because of the romanization of the Katana in novels and movies.
Thanks!

Many thanks Benuser ... your point is that stropping on leather is probably sufficient for refreshing a >HRC61 blade? T85 ... those are two seriously nice knives especially the MS Carter. T ... do you use a steel for freshening the blades on the line?

Many thanks Benuser ... your point is that stropping on leather is probably sufficient for refreshing a >HRC61 blade?
My pleasure, Brian. Leather or cardboard. Next step is a fine stone for touching up by performing a few edge trailing strokes and deburring. I use a small piece of Belgian Blue or Coticule for that.

Many thanks Benuser ... your point is that stropping on leather is probably sufficient for refreshing a >HRC61 blade? T85 ... those are two seriously nice knives especially the MS Carter. T ... do you use a steel for freshening the blades on the line?
Yes, I do. I use ceramic rod, white. I believe is 8000 grit. I hone often, it help extend the life of your edge. It also bring the edge right back when you are doing lot of cutting. You should hone often.

Yes, I do. I use ceramic rod, white. I believe is 8000 grit. I hone often, it help extend the life of your edge. It also bring the edge right back when you are doing lot of cutting. You should hone often.
A 8000 ceramic rod? Any details?

I used to use leather strops, that Dickoron steel was an eye opener, best money spent!

Thank you for your answer, so I was wrong again. I looked up my rod and it is a messermeister 1200 grit white. What do you recommend I use during prep time ?
I hope it didn't cause big thickening behind the edge. A few light edge trailing strokes and deburring on a 4k or higher should do.

Back