Fix a Felt Strop

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jville

I used to work in a Mexican restaurant
Reaction score
I got some bumps in a felt strop, believe it got sone water droplets on it. Has anyone fixed this? I was wondering if I could take a razor blade and just shave the bumps off. What do you think?

I had a cheese wire cutter and it would not cut hard parmesan cheese. It eventually broke and I did not replace it.

I am not sure I would want to clean all the teeth if I used a bread knife for cheese. It would probably work but not my choice. If you had real teeth they may gum up. My Henckels 5star would not have that problem but like I said I would not want to clean it. I also have a Henckels salami 4star knife with more aggressive teeth than a bread knife but the same holds as I would not clean it.

I cut a lot of cheese. Cheese and wine go together real well. I drink a lot of wine which I think requires cheese.
I never got what kind of felt is used. Is it wool? Felt hats are pressed with steam.
It is the felt strop from Dave Martell a while back. Are you suggesting I hit it with steam and iron it?

At your own risk. I few shaved a few odd bumps off by laying a razor blade flat to the felt and shaving gently to take out the high spots when I got water on it. I didn't know ironing was an option.

Back