Fix Worn Logo

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volta87

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to restore the stamp back to being black? Or get rid of the black that’s there to even it out?

How it should be [Not faded]
IMG_9241.jpeg

How mine is [Faded]

Attachments

• IMG_9242.png
    IMG_9242.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
I've never done or heard of a way to do this, but here is a try at a complete guess.

Clean the area very well with acetone or isopropyl alcohol. Smear some mustard or other acidic paste into the cracks of the kanji. Wipe the face very well leaving the acid paste only in the kanji. Let sit for 15-20 min then wash it all out really well. This would likely give you a dark patina on all the metal surfaces that brightened over time in there.

Again, I am completely guessing on this and others will likely chime in with better ideas and experience.

Since I don’t see any patina, I’ll assume it’s a stainless knife. In that case your only option is to color it in with something. Maybe something like car touch up paint?

Last edited:
Good call on the stainless @Heckel7302 . If that is the case, I'd try black nail polish. Again, clean very well with acetone or isopropyl alcohol and then apply. Nail polish will be durable yet easily removeable with safe chemicals down the line.
Nail polish is a good call. There are non-toxic nail polishes that would lower concerns about any flaking off into food.

Since I don’t see any patina, I’ll assume it’s a stainless knife. In that case your only option is to color it in with something. Maybe something like car touch up paint?

White 2

Brand new, hence no patina

White 2

Brand new, hence no patina
Aha. Well nail polish will still be darkest and probably hold up best, and could be removed with acetone if it doesn’t look good. Alternatively you could force a patina in there with mustard or vinegar or coffee then remove the excess off the flats with flitz or simichrome.

Very easy. First use an Dremel brass brush to clean up the embossed writing You need to completely degrease the area using medical grade alcohol, this is the 99% stuff. Next use engraving tape. it goes on the area around the inscribed metal. Use a fine Exacto knife to cut away the tape from the writing. I use Brownells OXPHO-Blue Creme gun blue. I have used this product for many years on my firearms. use a toothpick the apply it is in a gel form. you can reapply it until you get the coloration you like. It rinses completely free leaving nothing behind to make it unsafe with food. It makes the area treated rust resistant.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 16.36.09.png

Last edited:
I've never done or heard of a way to do this, but here is a try at a complete guess.

Clean the area very well with acetone or isopropyl alcohol. Smear some mustard or other acidic paste into the cracks of the kanji. Wipe the face very well leaving the acid paste only in the kanji. Let sit for 15-20 min then wash it all out really well. This would likely give you a dark patina on all the metal surfaces that brightened over time in there.

Again, I am completely guessing on this and others will likely chime in with better ideas and experience.
Yeah that's basically it, but it'll be more uniform if you just etch the blade entirely

I just want to remove the black logo. Surely you can’t dunk the handle lol

The Flitz/acid dunk recommendation is related to the forced patina route to solving your problem:

Alternatively you could force a patina in there with mustard or vinegar or coffee then remove the excess off the flats with flitz or simichrome.
it'll be more uniform if you just etch the blade entirely
What’s the best way to clean off that forced petina from the whole blade?

Acid dunk forces patina, Flitz removes patina.

The procedure would be to dip the logo (or the whole knife minus the handle, if you want to force a uniform patina on the entire blade — this seems unnecessary to me) and patinate the stamped area. Then use Flitz to remove/reset the patina on the rest of the blade so you’re left with the patina-darkened stamped kanji.

To get the dark, inky black that it had originally, it seems like you’ll want to go with either Transmaster’s method or the nail polish route. I wonder if you could use a tiny pipette to get nail polish in the stamped area and then use acetone and pointy q-tips to clean off any excess.

The Flitz/acid dunk recommendation is related to the forced patina route to solving your problem:

Acid dunk forces patina, Flitz removes patina.

The procedure would be to dip the logo (or the whole knife minus the handle, if you want to force a uniform patina on the entire blade — this seems unnecessary to me) and patinate the stamped area. Then use Flitz to remove/reset the patina on the rest of the blade so you’re left with the patina-darkened stamped kanji.

To get the dark, inky black that it had originally, it seems like you’ll want to go with either Transmaster’s method or the nail polish route. I wonder if you could use a tiny pipette to get nail polish in the stamped area and then use acetone and pointy q-tips to clean off any excess.
Apply nail polish with a toothpick.

Latest posts

Back