Fixed-blade EDC knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qapla'

Reaction score
EDC-knife users: Do you have any favorite fixed-blade EDC knives?

Winkler Standard Duty 2...
Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 11.13.53 AM.png

I feel safer carrying a fixed blade now that I am frequenting the mall food court and may need to fight off the unvaccinated masses...
#highdraglowspeed

I like these right now. The RAT3 is a D2 steel which was hard to get a while back. My other is a little large but it is very light for a knife that size. I have some Bark River knives I like but they are heavier. I mainly carry a Buck in my pocket.

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Here's my Bradford Guardian 4 in m390. I love the in-hand feel of this knife, but I hate sharpening the steel (although it's easier to sharpen than my Spyderco Paramilitary in m4 - I friggin HATE that steel). If I were going to do it again, I'd get my EDCs in 52100 or something else that was manageable.
20210712_162010.jpg

Here's my Bradford Guardian 4 in m390. I love the in-hand feel of this knife, but I hate sharpening the steel (although it's easier to sharpen than my Spyderco Paramilitary in m4 - I friggin HATE that steel). If I were going to do it again, I'd get my EDCs in 52100 or something else that was manageable.

Might want to try diamonds. Makes short work of both my M4 Spydercos. D2 is real easy with diamonds too.

Might want to try diamonds. Makes short work of both my M4 Spydercos. D2 is real easy with diamonds too.
To my knowledge, Spyderco also makes a CBN stone, but I know nothing else about it.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-CBN-Benchstone-Sharpener-3--116296

To my knowledge, Spyderco also makes a CBN stone, but I know nothing else about it.
With regard to my m4 Paramilitary, I can remove metal with my diamond stones. The problem is that I find it very difficult to put on a really sharp, but also resilient edge. I'm sure I just need practice, but my experience is that m4 is a difficult steel to work on. M390 is easier, but still much harder than the kitchen steels I'm more used to.

The way I use EDCs (light duty tasks like cutting rope and opening boxes and packages), I would have rather gotten mine in a steel that I could easily touch up, like 52100, rather that these super-wear-resistant steels that make that task a chore.

Latest posts

Back