Flattening stones: Atoma 140 vs DMT - D8XX - 120

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My old DMT lapping plate is just about worn-out. I used it to flattening water stones of all grits for the last 5 years or so. I thought it would last longer since I only use it about twice a month.

I read that the Atoma was vastly superior to the DMT for flattening stones. Is that still true ? Any comments ?

Thanks,

Rich

My atomas do not stick near as bad. And yes I have both brands.

Especially the 140 Atoma.

Depends on your use but for me atoma wear better. Five years isn’t a bad run. I think atoma cut better period. Dmt kinda always lose diamonds and create funny gouges. But a worn plate is great for fixing tips and medium to high grit softer stones.

This is one of those things you don’t want to skimp on. Get the Atoma and save yourself so much hassle

If your asking can the Atome 140 cut stones like the Shapton Glass stones, the answer is yes, I do it all of the time.

One of the vendors on this site sells an Atoma 140 or 400 attached to a handle, it makes flattening so much easier on muddy stones. I have 0 complaints about my atoma 140.

Back