fooling myself with a King 1000?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI - I have both a Sukenari petty and a Makoto bunka in R2. I have a King combo stone 1000/6000. Am I deluding myself to think that this stone will sharpen R2 steel? Do I need to go diamond? I would consider my sharpening skills just a bit beyond novice.

It will work but it will wear pretty fast. The King will require flattening when sharpening a popsicle stick. You're likely to spend more time flattening than sharpening with r2.

What reasonably affordable alternative(s) would you recommend?
I'm a fan of the Shapton stones, either Pro or Glass, for fast, effective and affordable. My most frequently used stones.

But others here have done some interesting comparisons between stones, can't link to anything specific but a google search should produce some.

I'm a fan of the Shapton stones, either Pro or Glass, for fast, effective and affordable. My most frequently used stones.

But others here have done some interesting comparisons between stones, can't link to anything specific but a google search should produce some.
Thanks, always appreciate your expertise.

Latest posts

Back