Foster Bros Commercial Knife from early 1900's? How to Refurb?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Undergrounder996

Reaction score
Hi. New to the forums...
I have two old knives from my wife's grandfather. He immigrated to the US in 1930 came to Philadelphia. He began working at the market/butcher at 431 Girard Avenue in 1933 and purchased the market in 1940. He ran the market for many decades after that (not sure how long).

We have two knives from the market. One is marked "FOSTER BROS STAINLESS MADE IN U.S.A." on the blade, and FOSTER BROS X on the handle. The other side is inscribed "18 71". Could this be a year?

The other blade is longer, but has no markings.

Both handles are in bad shape. Especially the Foster Bros knife. Should I attempt to refurbish the scales? Make new scales? I'm not sure of the which is the best course. Your thoughts are welcome.
Foster Bros Knife 1871 b.JPG

Not sure how old your Foster Brothers is but stainless steel means it was made long after 1871. I'm guessing it might be a model number. Wish I had a good Foster Brothers catalog to check.

Not sure how old your Foster Brothers is but stainless steel means it was made long after 1871. I'm guessing it might be a model number. Wish I had a good Foster Brothers catalog to check.
I saw a video about Victorinox Swiss Army knives last night. In it the spokesman/historian for the company said they introduced stainless steel to their knives in 1923. Just a FOI (for our info).

Both handles are in bad shape. Especially the Foster Bros knife. Should I attempt to refurbish the scales? Make new scales? I'm not sure of the which is the best course. Your thoughts are welcome

It's up to you. I think the smaller handle could be saved with a little light sanding/cleaning, then some epoxy to fill the crack(s). After that multiple soaks/rubs in oil (mineral, tung, or linseed) and then some beeswax to finish. The larger one looks like a good candidate for a re-handle job although you'll lose those nice tight brass rivets. Maybe just sand that gouge down to a less splintery state. Then you could do the same on the other side to make it symmetrical?

Back