Fowler? Any comments?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolidSnake03

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So this might seem like a bit of an odd ball question but I've recently taken a bit more to flatter profiles and in searching around at some of these Fowler came up. Saw an old Salty video of a 210 suji type knife that looked pretty darn good. I did a bit of searching on this forum but most all that I found was sale ad's and not a whole lot of reviews. Additionally, everything looked to be a few years old with not a whole lot recently coming up. Can't remember seeing much of anything in new knife purchases from this maker or in other threads (doesn't have his own maker's area thing).

Any comments on this maker? Recent knives made by him?

Trying to get a feel for his stuff but again haven't seen much in the last few years so wondering what is up. Ton of knives all sold on the BST in 2013 by him though....

Think I saw those on his site, I was more interested in impressions/reviews/thoughts/ if anyone knows why his stuff just kinda disappeared a bit after what seems like some good popularity for a few years back.

I might be totally off on all that, haven't followed the custom scene for too long but that's just the impression I'm getting at this point looking back at stuff

Think I saw those on his site, I was more interested in impressions/reviews/thoughts/ if anyone knows why his stuff just kinda disappeared a bit after what seems like some good popularity for a few years back.

I might be totally off on all that, haven't followed the custom scene for too long but that's just the impression I'm getting at this point looking back at stuff

I think making razors is likely much more profitable...

I've had a Fowler cable damascus gyuto for ~4-5 years now. I don't use it much because the wa handle is a little too big, but whenever I do take it out of the block I kick myself for not using it more. It definitely has a flatter profile, so I find I need to adjust my cutting motion a little. I think he dropped off KKF as a vendor a few years back and stuck with KF ITK for a bit. but I have not been on KF in quite a long time so not sure if he still sells there.

Stephan is really talented, but he happened to be here when super flat profiles were all anyone wanted. I've always thought that kind of did him in, in these parts. He makes a really good knife, and I think the thinnest grinds I've ever experienced were his. I think if you asked him to do a certain profile, and have some beef up top, but super thin at the edge, you'd get a great knife. Big handles, yes, but I always prefer them that way, anyways. :)

I have one of his knives and as said before, super flat and super thin (especially the tip). Mine has a bit more heft in the back. Cool knife, differentiatally hardened W2 wíth hamon. I really should use it more oftern.
He still maintains a website, but according to linked-in he is not a full time knifemaker (if he ever was).
http://fowlerblades.com/

I'm actually a bit more interested in his Western's than his WA's to be honest so I wonder if the larger handle thing still comes into play or not.

That said, thanks for some of those thoughts guys, hope to keep getting a few more words in here so anyone that's had one feel free to chime in. I've gotten in touch with the man himself and he does still make kitchen knives although I'm not sure how frequent that is. Waiting for pricing and lead time and a bit more info from him on this....
ivbxi1.jpg

Not my knives (obviously) but a pic I pulled from the google :D

Nice knife rick! That yours I take it? She looks killer and I love that handle, steel?

W2, I believe. Crazy thin. Springy in hand. You should see the petty.

Hey, that might be one of my pics from a few years back! Looks like my gyuto paired with the 'rustic' passaround sitting on my wife's BoardSmith board.

Nope, that wa is mine, but it is the rustic passaround. I got that ceramic plate in the background on my bench still.

I did do a comparative writeup on those two knives if i recall correct.

Still have the write up somewhere? I found something about the pass around but it was just a thread of people signing up, no actual reviews or impressions

Nice set Rick, definitely a bit jealous

Stephan is the president of the GA Knifemaker's Guild which I'm a member of and I see him from time to time. Really nice thin grinds and hamons. He just got his Journeyman Smith from the ABS a few months ago at Bladeshow which I think has been taking much of his time and concentration. He was a full-time maker for a while a few years ago but possibly due to family commitments etc. went back to a real job and doing this on the side. He's definitely still making knives and involved in knifemaking and currently seems to be making more bowies and other styles than kitchen knives. However, he definitely still does so and I doubt you would be disappointed in the result from what I've seen of his work in the past.

Best,

~Luke

Too funny -- my wife has some serving platter with that same pattern. The only thing that was bugging me was the cup.

One of the kids watercup...
You can also barely make out the kids drawings on the fridge as well.

Oh, and the handle of my wifes favourite Tanaka Santoku just behind the board.

I have a 260 gyuto that's more of a conventional profile and a 300mm suji and I like them both a lot, the gyuto won't ever be leaving I think. Great performers, consistent grinds, and a lot of soul in them which is hard to quantify.

Thanks for the additonal impressions and thoughts guys and for the background info Luke! (Still need to get a Bloodroot someday just can't seem to be fast enough haha)

That said, good to hear he is still up and running in some capacity, contact has been a bit slow with him but at least it sounds like he will be making a few more kitchen knives shortly.

Back