Funayuki: What and why?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qapla'

Reaction score
From what I've read, allegedly the funayuki was a field-and-stream knife (literally "boat-going knife") that ended up being adopted for kitchen use as well. What differentiates the single-bevel versions from a smaller deba like an aji-kiri, or the double-bevel versions from a santoku?

Last edited:
Fist: Define an Example: I'd say look at 180mm or so size, and a brank like Zakuri for classic profile.

zak210fyb1onr_3_grande.jpeg

(note this is 210x60mm)

Compared to a deba:
In general, its pointier than a true deba. And it has a normal spine width and proportionate weight to gyuto, unliike most versions of 'deba'.

Compared to a Santoku:
It has a way more useful tip, its taller (>50mm), and It's is a better draw-slicer while still being competent/good push cutter the last 1/3 blade (thanks Deba profile).

Obvious Caveat:
Some santoku profiles can start to merge with Funayuki depending on the example,
so if you have small hands and see a pointy santoku or low heel-height funayuki
then you can go that route...nobody really caress of course;)

Summary:

Thanks to its deba roots, the Funayuki is more like a gyuto in that its a protein centric knife that also cuts vegtables.

OT, whatever you do attempting to find out what a Funayuki is, don't have a look at Carter Cutlery knives... :rolleyes: His knife shapes are all over the place and he names them randomly. At least this is my impression. :D I am not bashing him, have and had several knives, gyutos, Funayukis, Chef's, Wabochos... Never understood which is what and where the difference is...

Yeah I have a Carter “funayuki,” #1638 to be precise. It’s just a shorty Gyuto, man!

I thought what differentiated a gyuto from funayuki was the pointier, lower tip

My understanding is that - until Carter starter to use the denomination 'funayuki' for a shorter free-style gyutos (the same way he uses 'wabocho' - a term that makes even less sense - for a free style santoku) funayuki was simply a thinner, middle size single bevel knife used by fishermen as an all purpse knife around fish.

Back