Future rainbow-ass unicorn prediction

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briochy

Reaction score
Just thought to myself "What knives that are relatively common now will become unicorns/become a lot more pricey in the future?".
My guesses (in no particular order)
1. Yoshikane black dammy SLD
2. All styles of Mazaki, but more likely Kuro Nashiji, I feel
3. Watayama/Toyanabe both carbon and stainless, but especially carbon
4. Munetoshi, especially Honyaki ones
5. Sukenari, especially yxr7 and HAP40
6. Konosuke (some already is, but probably more lines will be also)
7. Sakai Jikko Akebono Blue#2 (and less so Akatsuki White #2)
8. Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura
Bearing in mind that I'm still a novice at this. It'd be great if there are contributions from people in this community, so feel free to comment and add links to where to buy. Let's see in 10-20 years whose predictions are gonna be correct.

Kiyoshi Kato is relatively common now. When he retires there will be no more.

Just thought to myself "What knives that are relatively common now will become unicorns/become a lot more pricey in the future?".
My guesses (in no particular order)
1. Yoshikane black dammy SLD
2. All styles of Mazaki, but more likely Kuro Nashiji, I feel
3. Watayama/Toyanabe both carbon and stainless, but especially carbon
4. Munetoshi, especially Honyaki ones
5. Sukenari, especially yxr7 and HAP40
6. Konosuke (some already is, but probably more lines will be also)
7. Sakai Jikko Akebono Blue#2 (and less so Akatsuki White #2)
8. Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura
Bearing in mind that I'm still a novice at this. It'd be great if there are contributions from people in this community, so feel free to comment and add links to where to buy. Let's see in 10-20 years whose predictions are gonna be correct.
I have to say I, respectfully, disagree with that assessment about every knife on this list...

Do you have any alternative suggestions for makers whose knives will become more rare/valuable?
My top picks would be Comet knives (stopped making, were hard to get already), genkai masakuni (close to retirement, some pieces are extremely rare already) plus fudo kuniyuki (sre no longer made for quite some time now). The obvious choice is Kato. Have to agree with Toyama carbons/honyaki though!

@Panamapeet Thanks for that!

I would add to the list Takeshi Saji and Hideo Kitaoka. I expect that both will stop producing knives before much longer.

My top picks would be Comet knives (stopped making, were hard to get already), genkai masakuni (close to retirement, some pieces are extremely rare already) plus fudo kuniyuki (sre no longer made for quite some time now). The obvious choice is Kato. Have to agree with Toyama carbons/honyaki though!
I thought he said comet knives is just on a break, and is likely to make a comeback once he finishes his degree.

@Panamapeet Thanks for that!

I would add to the list Takeshi Saji and Hideo Kitaoka. I expect that both will stop producing knives before much longer.
Do you expect there will still be a demand for those once they are no longer being made?

Toyama(or watanabe made by Toyama), especially Iron clad.

Probably honyaki knives from Japanese masters all together. Since it seems like it's getting more rare doing them as old masters pass away.

Takamura uchigumo/tanaka ironwood r2.

These are first ones that come to my mind.

Do you expect there will still be a demand for those once they are no longer being made?
Not sure about Hideo Kitaoka. He's sort of at the fringe, making exclusively single-bevel knives. He was never all that popular, so his knives may just fade away, even though they are traditional and beautiful.

I'm fairly sure about Saji. Some of his knives are spectacular, and rare even now.

I don't get why people don't just buy knives they enjoy using rather than knives they wanna flip for a profit at some time im the future.
For me, I'm not tryna flip it, but having something 'exclusive' just boost my ego, not gonna lie. But of course, I aim to buy something that is both potentially rare and I enjoy using it at the same time.

For me, I'm not tryna flip it, but having something 'exclusive' just boost my ego, not gonna lie. But of course, I aim to buy something that is both potentially rare and I enjoy using it at the same time.

Hiromoto and Kenichi Shiraki as well

Yep, get an Akebono before they all run out.

Edited to add- The only knife I got two of. Hope they don't become hyped- then I won't feel the need to sell one.

Many of these so called "unicorns" are still relatively easy to find, its just a matter of stumping up money for them.
I travel to Japan quite often, and I still see tons of Tatsuos and Ashis available.

As for cheap knives futures speculation, at least from the above list, none should become silly priced in the near future. Maybe the Toyanabe Honyakis.
What I think will become silly priced soon are the Fujiyama Dammys, Tanaka Ironwood (if they aren't already), anything Doi.

I thought he said comet knives is just on a break, and is likely to make a comeback once he finishes his degree.
I think it is unknown whether he will make many knives going forward. He said he was keeping his equipment for now but also said he had to support his family with a more stable income so I think it is unlikely he returns to making many knives.

Back