Grain mill suggestions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert2368

Reaction score
Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN
I'm looking at trying a couple of projects that call for grinding/cracking several types of grains. Wondering about buying some new equipment and which tool(s) makes the most sense?

1: Grinding for meal and/or flour. I've grown a good bit of heirloom variety flour corn, interested in grinding this as needed for corn breads, corn meal & etc..

I grew winter rye as a cover crop for several gardens, I did let some of it mature besides the majority of this which I mowed and tilled in last Spring. I COULD possibly mill some flour for rye bread? I like dark rye breads, even the somewhat lane commercial ones are better than nothing for ethnic cooking.

I'd like to try brewing beer again, this time around I would like to start from grain and malt rather than malt EXTRACTS, pre milled grains & etc., all of which are more expensive than buying & self processing those ingredients. This would call for cracked/coarsely ground barley malt and possibly other grains.

Is there ONE mill that can do it all? If so, what is the most economical yet capable model/maker?

I have had a brief experience with the Kitchen Aid mixer grain mill attachment, it is a low "duty cycle" tool with the smaller size and poor motor cooling of the home cook level Kitchen Aid mixers. I want to do more than this tool can do without smoking the poor mixer...

There is a Reddit group r/homemilledflour that could be useful for to check out. I’m manage a vegetable farm and have grown lots of grains for milling as well as purchasing grains just for milling into fresh whole wheat flour. I mill on a 26” New American Stone Mill (hand built in Vermont) which is such a great mill but for commercial use. I have a mockmill that is an attachment for a kitchen aid that I’ll run smaller tests in and it actually works pretty well. The key is that you’re milling on stone, the mockmill has a stand alone unit for 100 bucks more. Can’t speak for the nutrimill up above but I’m sure it’s very similar to the mockmill.

I have a mockmill that is an attachment for a kitchen aid that I’ll run smaller tests in and it actually works pretty well. The key is that you’re milling on stone, the mockmill has a stand alone unit for 100 bucks more.
Thanks! I will ask Google about the "mockmill" & check out the Reddit group.

If you're in MT, have you ever grown Painted Mountain flour corn? Supposedly bred for high altitude/short seasons, I've been growing it in MN for 4 seasons now (took 2022 off).

Attachments

• 20220926_210535.jpg
    20220926_210535.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 0
I’ve been super happy with the Komo Mio for grinding flour. Amazing bang for buck. No downsides for me so far.

If you’ve previously tried the grain mill Kitchenaid attachment, it’ll blow your f’ing mind in comparison.

Thanks! I will ask Google about the "mockmill" & check out the Reddit group.

If you're in MT, have you ever grown Painted Mountain flour corn? Supposedly bred for high altitude/short seasons, I've been growing it in MN for 4 seasons now (took 2022 off).
I have grown painted mountain for many years and really like it. This year I tried strubbes blue which was bred in MN and it’s a blue dent corn. It did really great also (almost 2x the yield as PM) . Hoping to make masa it’s supposed to be better for masa than the painted mountain
IMG_1445.jpeg
IMG_0729.jpeg

This year I tried strubbes blue which was bred in MN and it’s a blue dent corn. It did really great also (almost 2x the yield as PM) . Hoping to make masa it’s supposed to be better for masa than the painted mountain
View attachment 278562
Thanks!
I have just ordered several ounces of the Strubbes Blue seed, will give that a trial in 2024, weather and world situation permitting...

And hopefully I'll have a grinder by then.

Thanks! I'll check out the link-

How did it work during that test?
Can't give a useful answer to be completely honest. It ground powder fine flour with 50g sample one time. I honestly thought I was going to get into baking and bread making primarily, but didn't . It's robust and well made.

I have a Mockmill 200 which is excellent. A stone mill with a six year warranty, if I remember correctly. The 100 looks to be same quality but slower throughput. I’ve milled bread grains, corn and rice with it.

Breadtopia.com

Back