Greetings from Wisconsin

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian M.

Reaction score
Hi there!

Decided to join after lurking for a few months. I recently got back from my honeymoon in Japan and fell in love with the craftsmanship of a good kitchen knife. Having predicted this would happen, my one solo expedition on my honeymoon was a trip to Kappabashi where I started my collection. I had done some research but honestly had no idea what I was buying. Left Tsubaya with a Takada White #1 Kasumi Petty Magnolia Octagonal Handle 13.5 cm, BlueSuper Stainless Clad Nakiri Walnut Octagonal Handle 16.5 cm, and a Tanegashima Blue #2 Gyuto Rosewood Octagonal Handle 27 cm to pair with the Misono UX10 Gyoto 21 cm. My biggest regret is not snagging the last Takada in the shop: a 24 cm white #1 gyuto (I’ll have to go back next year I guess). Had planned a trip to Sakai to see the workshops, but we got hit by Typhoon #7 while in Kyoto and the trains weren’t running. We were staying down the block from the Aritsugu shop at the street market, but they closed during the storm like most other businesses.

Anyways, I love my new collection and am looking forward to expanding it while continuing to enhance my knowledge!

IMG_1351.jpeg
IMG_1360.jpeg

Last edited:
Back