Greetings - New Knife Nerd in the House

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francoalophoto

Franco Alo
Reaction score
What can I say? I grew up as a teenager knowing about Kitchen Knife Forums, as threads would always end up as a hit in my search results when educating myself about knives, and like most people, taking to Google for most of my searches. And now, I'm one of you and super thankful!

I am a wildlife biologist, hobbyist photographer and like all of you a passionate kitchen knife nerd! My collection is nearing 2 dozen knives, which makes each next knife that much more difficult to purchase as there are fewer gaps to fill. I mean sure, it won't stop me from buying a fourth 210mm gyuto, but it does have me stop more often than not and think twice about my purchase.

I'm mainly into Japanese kitchen knives with WA handles, though open to any other knife which is sharp, resilient, and a work of art. My favourites in my collection are anu Fujiwara Denka no Hotos, Tinker knives and Tsukasa Hinouras. I am here because I like to connect with people. Lifeless products with no connections mean nothing to me. The more I know, the more connections I make, the more fun I have in the kitchen. I'm not a chef, just a passionate Italian with a big desire for making tasty homemade food, bold flavours, and new experiences.

Looking forward to being part of the conversations here and helping out with my opinions and knife knowledge where I can. Knife nerds for life!

Attachments

• 98343926_3844889795553148_2517293706713759744_o.jpg
    98343926_3844889795553148_2517293706713759744_o.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
Please tell us more about your collection! Especially about the Tsukasa Hinouras.
Hi Moooza. Sorry not sure why my response this morning didn't find its way here. I have lots to say about my collection but would be difficult to write all about it here and keep it short. Your best bet is a YouTube video I made showcasing my knife wall and collection. If you have questions after that, just let me know. The Tsukasa Hinoura Unryu-Mon I got in November 2020 from Home Butcher. Has a custom buckeye burl handle and won't be in video since video was made in July.

Hi Moooza. Sorry not sure why my response this morning didn't find its way here. I have lots to say about my collection but would be difficult to write all about it here and keep it short. Your best bet is a YouTube video I made showcasing my knife wall and collection. If you have questions after that, just let me know. The Tsukasa Hinoura Unryu-Mon I got in November 2020 from Home Butcher. Has a custom buckeye burl handle and won't be in video since video was made in July.

Welcome! I love your knife wall. I would be so happy to tell guests entering my home: "Leave your coat somewhere on the floor. The rack on the wall is for knives only."

Really nice video and a beautiful collection!

One bit of advice, though: do NOT trust double stick tape to hold up those mag racks. It might hold, but I've heard many stories of people using the tape then having a rack fall with thousands of dollars of knives on it. Stick in a couple of screws, when you move, pull the chevilles out and cover the holes with filling compound you buy at the store. Takes 30 seconds, you can sand it, and a dab of white paint and nobody will ever know.

Even if you don't fix it and you have to pay 50 dollars when you move, that's better than doing hundreds or thousands of dollars of damage to those knives and to the floor.

Really nice video and a beautiful collection!

One bit of advice, though: do NOT trust double stick tape to hold up those mag racks. It might hold, but I've heard many stories of people using the tape then having a rack fall with thousands of dollars of knives on it. Stick in a couple of screws, when you move, pull the chevilles out and cover the holes with filling compound you buy at the store. Takes 30 seconds, you can sand it, and a dab of white paint and nobody will ever know.

Even if you don't fix it and you have to pay 50 dollars when you move, that's better than doing hundreds or thousands of dollars of damage to those knives and to the floor.
Thank you! You're definitely not wrong, I have heard some horror stories myself. Every couple of days I push against them and had cleaned the walls prior to putting them up. Normally this would be really weird behaviour from me too, thinking why would I hang unique blades up with tape, but it was a guy at a knife store I trust who told me everyone in the shop does it this way. I wish I knew from the few horror stories I've heard about if there was a link to why there's fell. Your advice is sound and I really appreciate it.

Welcome to the forums, sounds like an awesome collection
Thanks JoBone. I'm a big fan of yours on IG and have been following your journey closely for a few years. You not too long ago made a handle for a Tinker Tank for a buddy of mine in Quebec, Derek. Continue the great work!

Thank you! You're definitely not wrong, I have heard some horror stories myself. Every couple of days I push against them and had cleaned the walls prior to putting them up. Normally this would be really weird behaviour from me too, thinking why would I hang unique blades up with tape, but it was a guy at a knife store I trust who told me everyone in the shop does it this way. I wish I knew from the few horror stories I've heard about if there was a link to why there's fell. Your advice is sound and I really appreciate it.

Well I hope that you don't experience anything bad. Your collection looks beautiful and you clearly feel strongly about your blades. Welcome to the community!

Back