• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Haburn 255mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
Like this one a lot, Great balance, great grind and the attention to detail that Ian is known for..

Carbon, 52100. 217g. 56mm tall at heel. Spectacular handle. 255mm long. Custom saya and titanium pin. Not used since Ian did a spa day for it.

$950 to your door via Priority Mail. Insured. Overseas we can talk.

My pictures suck.

20230427_184144.jpg
20230427_184153.jpg
20230427_184213.jpg

Last edited:
Balance point is at "H" in Haburn.

Did I mention it's a beautiful burl western handle w polished stainless bolster?

Still avail.

Attachments

• 20230428_232202.jpg
    20230428_232202.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Bump and a couple new pics. These should suck less than previous.

This may be last chance to get a full sized Haburn for under a grand.....

Haburn 1.jpg
Haburn 2.jpg

Rust eraser only used for photo. Some Flitz used to clean off "blotches".

Hopefully Dave doesn’t mind me posting this here. This is Ian’s pic of the knife from his IG page. It shows just how stunning that Buckeye burl is:

And here is a link to the prior sells thread for this one showing some great pics as well:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/haburn-255x56.42024/

I‘m still very tempted to pick this one up even though I have its older brother which was made back in 2015. But this too should also showcase how handsome buckeye burl is on Ian’s handles:

A70AC3FF-7710-41DC-BB6D-A24B511E36E2.jpeg

What really tempts me on Dave’s version is the different blade profile, including the curved choil. It also looks a bit more robust than mine, so I’m guessing it’s a more current version of Ian’s grind style. Mine was what he used to call “performance grind”, and is still one of the top performing knives I have.
And the bolster style on Dave’s is a bit more curved in towards the blade, which I’m curious to compare to mine.
Alas I promised myself no knives this year. A promise I sadly broke once already. I’m really trying to not break it again, in spite of how tempting this one is.

Hopefully Dave doesn’t mind me posting this here. This is Ian’s pic of the knife from his IG page. It shows just how stunning that Buckeye burl is:

And here is a link to the prior sells thread for this one showing some great pics as well:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/haburn-255x56.42024/

I‘m still very tempted to pick this one up even though I have its older brother which was made back in 2015. But this too should also showcase how handsome buckeye burl is on Ian’s handles:

View attachment 240812

What really tempts me on Dave’s version is the different blade profile, including the curved choil. It also looks a bit more robust than mine, so I’m guessing it’s a more current version of Ian’s grind style. Mine was what he used to call “performance grind”, and is still one of the top performing knives I have.
And the bolster style on Dave’s is a bit more curved in towards the blade, which I’m curious to compare to mine.
Alas I promised myself no knives this year. A promise I sadly broke once already. I’m really trying to not break it again, in spite of how tempting this one is.

Did this knife get another spa treatment from Ian after the last sale, or the knife hasn’t been used since the 2019 spa day?

This is seriously a bargain! When Ian posts a knife for sale on his site (for a lot more I should add) it's gone in minutes. I'm not suggesting that that alone is a reason to purchase this knife, but as an indication of the good value here. And his knives are built to last...I risk treading into fan boy territory here, but I have some of his earliest work and the knives still perform like a dream and look beautiful. I've liked all of his grinds over the years...the performance grind, the compound grind and his newer wide bevel grinds. all have great distal taper. Add the rounded choil, which is a joy in hand.

I'm almost tempted to break my 'no western' promise, but this knife will make someone really happy!

Did this knife get another spa treatment from Ian after the last sale, or the knife hasn’t been used since the 2019 spa day?

The knife has hasn't been used (except for batch of mire poix when I first received it) since the spa treatment. It lives with a couple knives that comprise my "retirement" collection.

Pricing is literally double currently. I am the original owner. If I was in a position to purchase back, I definitely would

To be fair, that’s not totally accurate as a recently sold 52100 on Ian’s site was $1235. So, yes maybe double than what you sold it for per the linked thread here.

Back