Hattori KD

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be one to dismiss the KD effect but after having handled so many I now think that they're a special knife for sure. Very well made, easy to sharpen, and reportedly incredible edge retention, all with great looks. I have no idea who makes the knives although they give me the impression of being built with care on a small scale.

So I have been scouring the web every once and a while hoping to find a KD gyuto on sale.. Today I said why dont I sort my search for "hattori kd" by date... Well I was shocked the first few links on google were all sites with malware trying to infect my computer... anyway on a unrelated note this lady on the cooking show I am watching is teaching about how she is caramelizing some meat and all I can think is how horrible it is she is mis-educating people by not discussing the maillard reaction.. Anybody have a Hattori KD gyuto they wanna sell? :)

Hattori will no longer be making knives as he is quite ill.

I don't see it being mass produced,I have been on two lists for over three years now.If eto did not post that korin had two at there NY store I would never had one.BTW how can you compare a 52100 blade to a cowry X blade,that's apples an oranges.If you owned a KD you can be a hater all you want,until then Stop Hating.

It says on JCK that the KD were all made by Hattori himself in his workshop. I don't know if there's any other info out there that agrees with or contradicts that.

My only feedback about the KD is that I went searching for one in Tokyo in Kappabachi this year (Jan), and the knife suppliers there don't carry Hattori. One large shop had KDs on special order (time to confirmed delivery is 6 weeks from date of order), but the prices are very very high - on par with some of the US websites that list it.

The honest feedback from the store owners is that they don't stock hattori as they are not professional kitchen knife makers. More like a generic brand and not used much in Japan. They know there is a strong foreign demand and they also know that the US is where most Hattori products seem to end up.

I went away from that feeling a bit sad, as a KD was near the top of my must have list... but to think that it is not well regarded in Japan, and that the pros there feel it isn't worth the hype and is overpriced, and that none of the pros are actually using it... made me not want to purchase one. Still feeling mixed about it.

Just my sharing.

My only feedback about the KD is that I went searching for one in Tokyo in Kappabachi this year (Jan), and the knife suppliers there don't carry Hattori. One large shop had KDs on special order (time to confirmed delivery is 6 weeks from date of order), but the prices are very very high - on par with some of the US websites that list it.

The honest feedback from the store owners is that they don't stock hattori as they are not professional kitchen knife makers. More like a generic brand and not used much in Japan. They know there is a strong foreign demand and they also know that the US is where most Hattori products seem to end up.

I went away from that feeling a bit sad, as a KD was near the top of my must have list... but to think that it is not well regarded in Japan, and that the pros there feel it isn't worth the hype and is overpriced, and that none of the pros are actually using it... made me not want to purchase one. Still feeling mixed about it.

Just my sharing.

Considering Hattori only makes western knives, that makes sense that pros don't use them much in Japan. Hattori is really known for their hunting knives. I imagine the reason why KD are are so hard to find is because Hattori makes a lot more money making other types of knives. You can ask all the knife makers here, the money is in outdoor knives and folders.

To add to my previous post, here is a quote from Koki's other knife website, japaneseknifewholesale.com.

Ichiro Hattori, 63 years old craftsman, was involved with knife making at the age of 18 when he joined his father's knife company "Masahiro". In 1971, he has opened his own workshop and started producing high quality Hunting knives for export with buyers brands including Kershaw, Browning, Beretta, Tekna etc.

His fine works have been quickly recognized in the U.S. market as the custom quality knives with the detailed hand works. This reputation came from his nature to seek the finest workmanship without any compromises. In 1993, he has entered into a domestic market with his own name and line, and instantly captured Japanese knife users as the finest Hunting knives ever offered in Japan.

http://www.japaneseknifewholesale.com/Hattori.html

Hattori will no longer be making knives as he is quite ill.

He doesn't look too ill from this picture dated March of this year.

Hattori-2.jpg

Master, Ichiro Hattori has received Japan Ministry of Health Awards for "Contemporary Master Craftsman" as the "Outstanding Technicians in Knife-Making" in Tokyo on November 10th, 2010.

We had a cerebration party in Seki on March 3rd with 70 attendances from Seki Knife Industry. Mr. Hattori and his wife is making a thanks speech at the party (photo)

Is that a john phillips suit on master ichiro?

I would also bet the farm those are horn buttons adorning it...

He might have just stiched on a few ferrules that he happened to have lying around in place of the buttons

Good one! :happy3:

H KD has been on my list for a while but with all of the hype and availability issues, its hard to keep up... I've found some of the comments on this thread quite interesting!

Reliable source said that Hattori has lung cancer. Don't know how far off but was told about 6mos ago

Back