Hello, from AUS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfgang

Reaction score
Hello all, I just joined, although I often find myself here via google when looking for info or pictures of certain things.

I’ll copy and past my info from my profile to save typing it all again:

-

I’m obsessed with synthetic Japanese waterstones and Japanese sharpening methods.

I mostly use outdoors knives and have many.

I love to experiment with sharpening mediums on cheap knives; such as getting shave sharp edges off of a cheap silicon carbide oilstone, or cinder block, tile and a ceramic cup; stropping on newsprint, cardboard, various fabrics etc.

In regular sharpening I always use more stones than is really necessary as I like to remove all scratches through a nice progression that doesn’t jump too much. I then finish with small Abrasives such as waterstone Powder on rice paper, fingerstones, or high grit sandpapers to remove what scratches remain, resulting in a mirror polish on the whole bevel. On convex bevel Knives this takes quite some time as the bevel is over an inch wide with no secondary edge.

I simply like sharpening/polishing and so it is a pleasure, not a chore or necessary evil.

I also have a keen interest in sharpening theory; which is the most important factor in practical application. Sharpening a blade consists of 99% theory and a mere 1% equipment. So long as you have the knowledge and skill to apply it, you can get a shave sharp edge on any piece of equipment.

If anyone needs some help with sharpening problems I’ll be glad to help.

-

Also, I’ve recently become interested in quality Japanese kitchen knives. I’ll get something eventually.

Welcome. You sound suitably obsessed, you'll fit right in. PM me your address so I can send you my knives for sharpening. 🙂

He means Shigefusa. It's a brand of knife that many in here and elsewhere sell their first born children for.

He means Shigefusa. It's a brand of knife that many in here and elsewhere sell their first born children for.

I thought that was maybe what he was referring to but I suppose I’m not up to date with forum speak regarding Japanese Knives such as Shig for Shigefusa. lol

And no, I don’t have one, don’t have any yet. I have a Chinese cleaver I use for everything. If I stopped buying outdoor knives and waterstones and accessories I could get something. I’ll likely get a Gyuto first.

Welcome. You sound suitably obsessed, you'll fit right in. PM me your address so I can send you my knives for sharpening. 🙂

Suitably? Sure, I think it’s a bit more than that....haha.

What he means more specifically is that Australians in general seem to have a particular fondness for Shigefusa knives. Its really a limited supply, and what is in circulation when sold or re-sold goes to Australia, mostly from a (very?) few obsessive members.

I see you sharpen some Tool steels on your stones. Some incites would be awesome as to which prefer the abrasion resistant steels.

So out of your collections. hypothetically toss 1 in the garbage, will it be the Shaptons or the Naniwas? (ignoring prices spent on them)

What he means more specifically is that Australians in general seem to have a particular fondness for Shigefusa knives. Its really a limited supply, and what is in circulation when sold or re-sold goes to Australia, mostly from a (very?) few obsessive members.

I see you sharpen some Tool steels on your stones. Some incites would be awesome as to which prefer the abrasion resistant steels.

So out of your collections. hypothetically toss 1 in the garbage, will it be the Shaptons or the Naniwas? (ignoring prices spent on them)

Oh, I didn’t know that. lol

That’s a hard question, even being hypothetical, but if I had to keep only one brand it would be the Shapton (overall because of the grits) M24 Line (due to their hardness and size) and kuromaku #220, #320, #8000 and #12000. However, you’d definitely see me going through the garbage trying to get back the Choseras.

Regarding A2 as it’s about the most abrasion resistant steel I own, it’s not an issue whatsoever. Both Shapton and Chosera cut it easily. And from others experiences they cut CPM 3V etc easily too.

Chosera might feel a bit better (I’m not completely convinced) but I do tend to use the Shaptons more for some reason. However, I usually use a mix of them all on every knife.

Because Shapton #1000 is only a #700 grit stone by Naniwa and JIS standards I use it as such. It’s finer than Chosera #600 but coarser than Chosera #800.

If I want to use a Shapton “#1000”, which doesn’t exist, I use the #1500 as it’s around #1200 by the JIS Standard and so closer to #1000.

With #2000 I have a hard time preferring either the Chosera or the Shapton as both are excellent, very different, but excellent nonetheless.

With the #5000 I think Chosera wins by a little bit due to its strong polishing ability, however, the Shapton #5000 is an excellent stone too.

It also depends on which stone I start with as to which lines I use most, for example, if I start with #700 (Shapton #1000j it goes:
#700 Shapton
#1200 Shapton
#3000 Chosera
#6000 King
#12000 Shapton
Basically doubling every stone.

Or if I start with Chosera #1000 it goes:

#1000 Chosera
#2000 Shapton or Chosera
#3000 Chosera
#5000 Shapton or Chosera
#8000 Junpaku or Shapton
#12000 Shapton
A much finer progression.

Or if it’s just a “Quick” sharpen it will likely be:
#700 Shapton
#2000 Shapton
#5000 Shapton
#10000 Super
Overall, more than doubling each stone.

Or, if it just needs to be sharp and not fancy I’ll use Shapton:
#30000 strop

If I want a super fine flawless finish I will use every grit I have to get to it. I don’t need to spend as much time on each stone with such small jumps. Then I’ll move onto powders, sandpapers and very light and short strops to finish.

Edit:
The downside to preferring magnesia bond stones is that they all have the potential to crack; and often they do.
It’s known by many Japanese folk who use them that this occurs and providing the stone doesn’t break (rare) it’s not an issue.
My #12000 kuromaku has warped a bit. I have an idea how to get it flat without lapping and so I’ll have to wait for more suitable weather until I do it.
My Chosera #2000 and #5000 have hairline cracks, many of them, but it doesn’t hinder use at all.

If the stones have a base they should be useable down to the end, if they are baseless they will eventually break.

Last edited:
Some damaged magnesia stone images I’ve found:

(Common denominator is they are all baseless)
F1_DB01_D8-3_DFA-44_F5-90_DE-7_D6_F170_C61_F6.jpg

AF1_C4_E5_C-_E362-4493-9_CF4-_D4_D5_A5_A37_D3_B.jpg

46_DB888_F-9_BAB-47_EB-8_BFE-89_BD4_AFDA022.jpg

No, I don’t seal or soak them. I use a spray bottle with double filtered rainwater. They never go under running water or in a tub.

Here’s some guys Shapton #1000, mounted to a piece of wood. It’s very thin and yet it isn’t broken.

1_D06_E848-_CD86-4_A0_F-990_F-7_E2_D62_C92_B0_A.jpg

No, none. Just to clarify those broken stones are not mine. Just examples of what can happen to them.

Back