hello from Hong Kong

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insomniac

Reaction score
hi all
Just wanted to introduce myself... I'm an avid home cook currently living in Hong Kong.

I have historically always made 2-3 trips to Japan a year... and over the past 3 years I've noticed I've stopped the skiing and sightseeing and have been increasingly organizing my trips around buying kitchen knives/ceramics and going to restaurants... so this year I have decided to recognize the knives as a formal obsession.

nice to meet you all and I look forward to learning a lot here!

thanks guys.

well if you make the trip out to CCK, you're on Shanghai Street, which is sort of the kitchen town of the city. That area actually probably covers the better part of knife shops in Hong Kong assuming you're not looking for department store style shopping. Most of the shops in that area do stock various Japanese and Western knife brands if you have the time to peruse. Its a bit like Tokyo's Kappabashi in that many of the shops sell more than just knives, so you do have to walk around a bit to find wares. Even CCK sells everything.. though their front is a knife display. There is one other store not far from CCK which I've forgotten the name of which stocks a wide selection of Japanese product, but its nothing really esoteric (mostly Masamoto Sohonten and Aritsugu product).

for local product, chinese choppers are the most popular... the other local brand you could consider seeking is Ho Chi King Lee, one of the last surviving cleaver-smiths in HK next to CCK. but i don't think they have their own shop. one shop that may be of interest, SCW Cutlery (sells several local brand), more conveniently located than Shanghai Street which you could squeeze in while remaining on HK island

SCW Cutlery & Hardware (HK) Ltd
G/F 361 Hennessy Road, Wanchai

There are also some common Chinese and Taiwanese made brands such as Shi ba zi - you can buy those in most department stores such as Wing On. price-wise, most brands run cheaper than CCK these days probably because CCK is quite well known even internationally these days.

going back to shanghai st... there's also cutting blocks on sale in the area made by 'local' woodworkers such as man kee and another shop opposite man kee, but reality is most of the work I believe is done in China these days due to the cost of space in HK. potentially good product, but as with much that is made in China, QC can be a concern so picking your own board is a must. If you really want to get a handcrafted round Chinese style butcher block in HK. there is one shop called Lee Hang cutting board in Kwun Tong district... probably the last one we have and I've no idea how long they'll remain in business.

I own a CCK and a local piece from SCW myself. nothing fancy, normal rectangular shaped choppers... not the huge ones i've seen some guys buying on the forums here haha. I've looked at those in the stores. The huge black finished ones are for professional local butcher use when you need to deal with splitting entire pig particularly bones. not that I disapprove of buying one for home use. I just don't have a place that can hold a knife like that.

Back