Help find a 240 Was gyoto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gooi

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I want to level up and get a killer performing WA gyoto. I was looking at Kono Fuji but you can't get them. Then I turned my attention to Denka but that looks like a long wait too and many say over priced.

So you can see approximately what my budget is. I want carbon and preferably stainless clad. On the thin side. I am a competant cook sharpener and can thin but I do find it a bit of a drag.

I imagine the real value out there is in the lesser known brands and models. This is where I would appreciate the wisdom of this community.

Here is my kit for context:

Shappton glass X 5
Atoma X 3
Takamura Hannah 210
Yoshikane gyoto + bunka
Ryosen blazen
Doi yanagi
White deba and usuba
Hap40 nikiri
Gesshin white Chinese cleaver

A lot of awesome makers down under if you’re open to non-Japanese makers and supporting the local lads.

This one sprang to mind immediately, although it has a Western handle.
https://newhamknives.com/collections/available-knives/products/ironwood-gyuto
For j-knives, Tanaka x Kyuzo or Tanaka x Yohei, anything Myojin - e.g. straight Myojin, or Nakagawa x Myojin / Tetsujin / etc.

Think I'd rather go thinner not just thin behind the edge. Now that my Yoshikane has worn down a few years I don't enjoy it much. I've thinned it but I guess my taste are more towards the laser. I do want a knife with a shinogi line still to make thinning more straight forward.

Back