Help finding a deba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CulinaryCellist

Reaction score
(e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Definitely a Way handle
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Short af, considering 105mm Deba
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Looking for a cheaper deba, Max budget is around 120USD

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Both
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Fish and poultry
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
None
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push/pull, chopping
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Doesn't have to be an absolute razor out of the box, I can sharpen it myself
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
No preference
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
I like me a balanced knife
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Small
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes, mainly synthetic
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Always

Been inactive for a while, kind of ghosted the forums a bit :/

In other news, I joined the Navy and am shipping out soon so yay

Oh! Ajikiri is one of my most used knives!! It’s really a shame that more vendors don’t import them. You can get a pretty cheap one from Watanabe - his standard set. It’s way under your budget and good bang for your buck.

If you want more options, there’s also knifejapan.com. They have a whole section of ajikiri, just make sure you’re paying attention to kataha vs ryoba since they don’t separate them.

Buyer beware - I bought one full size deba from them and there was a pretty severe overgrind on the kireha. The grind on the ura was really good though!

I've been at the same place for 11+ years. We're opening up a "second" location next year (same owners, not the same menu or vibe). I'll more than likely still be here. Hope school is good for you.
I'll definitely come find y'all, maybe when I'm on leave?

Oh! Ajikiri is one of my most used knives!! It’s really a shame that more vendors don’t import them. You can get a pretty cheap one from Watanabe - his standard set. It’s way under your budget and good bang for your buck.

Could yo u perhaps point me in the direction of the Watanabe? I can't find the one you are speaking of in my price range

Back