Help finding a tall gyuto for barracks use

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CulinaryCellist

Reaction score

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Looking to get another gyuto

Are you right or left handed?

Right Handed.

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

I'd prefer a Japanese style handle, but I'm not picky

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

Looking for a 240mm gyuto

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Stainless isn't necessary, but it would make things easier with my current living situation

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
My absolute max is around $170 USD

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Just for barracks use, i cook a few meals every day

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Mainly used for chopping vegetables.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
WalMart pos that i bought as soon as i moved in.
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch grip
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Slicing and chopping
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

I prefer gyutos that are on the taller side, 50mm at minimum.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
I'd like to be able to use it ootb, i don't have any of my stones here atm.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, but am currently unable.
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Always down to buy more

What do you think of these?

https://www.**************.com/katkgy24.htmlhttps://www.**************.com/kapsgy24.html
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, but am currently unable.
How do you plan on keeping them sharp then?

Back