Help identifying these knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

method

Reaction score
I have looked at countless translations for markings and I can't work out what these are. If anyone can help translate these it would be appreciated. Also does anyone know what brand the one with the odd logo is?
Thank you

20210201_234046.jpg
20210201_234056.jpg
20210201_234106.jpg
20210201_234114.jpg

Photo1. Sukeharu Saku 助春 作
Photo2. Can’t tell from that photo
Photo3/4. Sakai Ichimonji Mitsuhide 堺 一文字 光秀
That "logo" is a Tsuba of a Katana (Guard on a Japanese sword) as they claim lineage back to
the swordmaker Ichimonji Narimune (1650).

Thank you for your help! Google searching "Sukeharu Saku" and "Sakai Ichimonji Mitsuhide" yields no results in relation to more information on the knives.

Is there a way to tell an approx age, steel type etc or find out about the maker?

I don't read Kanji but I found mention of a sword signed "Sukeharu Saku" on this website.
In this case it's a swordsmith from mid edo era, so I highly doubt it's the same person that made your knife.

Any chance that you post pictures of the whole knives ? I'm very curious.

oh and by the way I don't know what's up with your Google but I've got many results for "Sakai Ichimonji Mitsuhide" including their website HERE.

https://www.ichimonji.jp

Photo1. Sukeharu Saku 助春 作
Photo2. Can’t tell from that photo
Photo3/4. Sakai Ichimonji Mitsuhide 堺 一文字 光秀
That "logo" is a Tsuba of a Katana (Guard on a Japanese sword) as they claim lineage back to
the swordmaker Ichimonji Narimune (1650).

Google auto corrected my search query without me noticing during the morning rush on my mobile which would explain why the results were not showing up correctly. Thank you for pointing that out!

Below are some photos of the knives. I'm not sure what type of knives they are, nor how old they are. I purchased them second hand from someone who said they were purchased from a collector in Japan and being so cheap there was nothing to lose. One ferrule looks to be of brass, the other looks like some strange resin/plastic? The small one has a really thick spine also. Both have razor sharp edges, the sharpest I have in my collection.

20210202_192504.jpg
20210202_192534.jpg
20210202_192633.jpg

"Below are some photos of the knives. I'm not sure what type of knives they are, nor how old they are. I purchased them second hand from someone who said they were purchased from a collector in Japan and being so cheap there was nothing to lose. One ferrule looks to be of brass, the other looks like some strange resin/plastic? The small one has a really thick spine also. Both have razor sharp edges, the sharpest I have in my collection. "

You have a Deba, a thick spined knife for breaking down fish. And a Yanagiba, a long thin blade for slicing fish from a fillet. They are both single bevel for right handed users. You can look up the words in bold on google and this forum.
Both knives appear several decades old, maybe 1960s. Your Sakai Ichimonji Mitsuhide Deba has a brass bolster which have not been used in Japan in quite some time. Your Sukeharu Yanagiba probably has a bolster made from horn. It looks too old for it to be a synthetic material.
The second photo looking down on the spines shows on the yanagiba some brownish spots in a line. Are those rust spots? Can't really tell without a good close up photo.

Last edited:
Back