Help identifying this Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommystery

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Wandered into a store selling Japanese knives yesterday and trying to identify one of the knives I saw. It's the Gyuto with the brown oval handle at the left end of the table.

Thanks!

20171102_152931.jpg

Good knives. Very underrated generally, but very much rated by those who have them.

Take the akifusa. Then the koishi if carbon steel is your bag.

If you can pick in person Koishi can be very good, I have no experience with Kanehiro or Akifusa.

Any general thoughts on these against something like -

Masakage Koishi
Kurosaki
Kanehiro

If you can pick in person Koishi can be very good, I have no experience with Kanehiro or Akifusa.

That is my rule with Masakage knives in general. I want to hand pick them! My first Yuki and my Koishi were both porkers! Much, much thicker than shots of other peoples knives show. Kanehiro is also a Kato made knife and should be similar. I prefer the Son's knives to the father but will take a Kurosaki over either, hands down. Funny, isn't it?

My Akifusa is much more laser like than workhorse like. A good knife at a good price.

I love my kurosaki r2 gyuto, it is my daily driver in a pro setting, haven't used the other ones though

Back