Help me choose a knife!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b2kk258

Reaction score

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Slicer/Suji

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Wa handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

210-270MM

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$300

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Professional Environment

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Possibly slicing sashimi? Want to try something different than a yanagi. I primarily want to use this as a sushi roll knife.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Gesshin Ginga white #2 240mm Gyuto, Tanaka VG-10 150mm Petty, Tanaka blue #2 300MM Yanagi

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

I usually extend my index finger over the spine mixed with a almost pinch grip position

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Usually draw cut

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Smaller length than 300MM (My cutting board at my station only allows room for a 12" width board). Better edge retention than white steel. Something thin like the Ginga.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

I don't care about aesthetics...Just can't do the hammered or hollow ground blades.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

I don't really care about balance. I prefer lighter blades. Don't care about handle materials, just something that won't slip out of my hand. Don't really care about spine or choil.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

I prefer something that won't wedge. Nothing is worse than a roll splitting open due to a thick blade (happened many times with my Hiromoto Gyuto).

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

As long as possible. The Ginga is wonderful but after half a shift I notice the performance dramatically decreasing. Especially when cutting cursty panko fried rolls.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Rubber, Synthetic, and Pine wood boards.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

No.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

No.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Again, size of my working area is quite small so blades bigger than 240MM tend to be difficult to use. Thin and light is always a plus. I need a steel that doesn't dull too fast. Prefer Wa handles. Other people that are making sushi, I would love to hear your suggestions even if its not a suji. Personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Don't know if this one was on your radar, but I think the Miyabi Birchwood slicing knife/sujihiki would be a good fit for you, especially if you are targeting around 240 mm. The Birchwood line is very thin and light (compared to the other Miyabi lines), and SG-2 has very good edge holding. The handle is a D-shaped wa-style (but with a steel half-bolster wielded to the blade), and the handle material feels very good in the hand. [Some clarification on specs: most websites list the blade length at 9", but according to a review on ZKnives, it's actually 240 mm. The weight was measured at 178 g (~6 oz).]

It's right at the edge of your budget, priced at $300, but you can buy it at Sur la Table with a professional discount (I think like 15%...or if you happen to have a friend that works there, you can ask them to buy it for you at employee discount, even better)

I don't work at sushi rest but do have occasion to slice rolls when catering and doing demos/classes. I like a 240 suji for the task, mine is a Tad Inox. Long enough to get job done and customers like seeing a "real" sushi knife. Edge holding is pretty good - particularly when draw cutting and not whacking the board.9

Sorry to numb and old thread but anyone else have a few suggestions?

Back