Help me find a knife!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj7642

Reaction score
Just thought I'd make a thread to see if anyone has good recommendations for a knife. I've been cooking for over 10 years, at least twice a day, but have always used cheap knives.

I've seen the following recommended at various places, all seems decent. Any input/recommendations are welcome. Oh, and thanks to all in advance.

Victorinox Chef's Knife
Tojiro DP Gyutou
Mac Knife (Chef, french)

'Murica

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
A universal/workhorse knife knife. I seem to prefer the feel of a santaku, but if a Chef's knife is superior, I'd consider that.

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
No Idea

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
No Idea. I use an 8 incher right now, and it seems to fit me well

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
150$, but hey, the cheaper the better ya know?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Primarily chopping meats and veggies, especially onions
Chopping potatoes

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
A $13 (pack of 2) Santoku knife from Sams' Club that has chips along its entire blade

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
I believe a pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Slicing, drawing, rocking. I pretty much do everything but chopping

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Maintain an edge, long-term durability, ergonomics

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Eh, I don't mind a pretty knife, but function is the priority here

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
I seem to prefer lighter knifes, somewhat flatter blades, and grippy handle material

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
TBH, not really sure

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Longer the better

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
I intend to purchase a maple or walnut cutting board with the knife, which are some of the best boards - or so I've read.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
I never have, but will purchase a stone, most likely 1000/6000 to do so. Ill probly practice on my cheapo knives before a nice one.

In your budget the Tanaka Nashiji lite from K&S is really hard to beat. It gets talked about a lot in many similar requests and for all the right reasons. James from K&S is a joy to do business with.

Another good choice to look at is the Kaeru from JNS. I haven't used one, but it comes from a very reputable vendor too and others here the Kaeru a lot for it's workhorse mentality.

Back