Help me find my ultimate Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely, and you still have another two grands to spend :) If you want to see pure wow factor from Shigefusa, wait until you see western handle kitaeji 210/240mm gyuto with integral bolster.

Shigefusa21cmkitaejigyuto_zpscebbad00.jpg

Oh, yes, sir :thumbsup:

Thankyou so much for your input everyone, i really appreciate your ideas!! As it turns out, i am a very impatient person, especially when it comes to knives, so after following some advice via pm i bought a shigefusa 240 kasumi gyuto from JNS ive heard the jns versions are made thinner? Could be reading wrong!!! 3mm above the heel ? besides the lack of wow factor is this an appropriate choice?

Besides the wow factor of the cutting experience already built into every Shig, you could pimp it out with a custom custom handle(by a variety of skilled craftsman, some of which are right here on this forum), and re-finished/polished by Jon at JKI.

If there were any kitaeji shig gyuto's available anywhere i would have definitely snapped it up, they look amazing, not a huge fan of western handles tho. Still extremely happy to jump in at ground level with the kasumi.

Besides the wow factor of the cutting experience already built into every Shig, you could pimp it out with a custom custom handle(by a variety of skilled craftsman, some of which are right here on this forum), and re-finished/polished by Jon at JKI.

Im definitely keen to get a custom handle and when you say refinished, is it possible to get a full mirror finish on the entire blade of the kasumi shig?

If you could get a mirror polish i know it would look good but would it be practical?

Congrats on the Shig! I'm glad you found something to fit what you were looking for :doublethumbsup:

If there were any kitaeji shig gyuto's available anywhere i would have definitely snapped it up, they look amazing, not a huge fan of western handles tho. Still extremely happy to jump in at ground level with the kasumi.

Im definitely keen to get a custom handle and when you say refinished, is it possible to get a full mirror finish on the entire blade of the kasumi shig?

If you could get a mirror polish i know it would look good but would it be practical?

I was thinking more of hazier Kasumi, but yes, you could get a mirror polish. Which is a true PITA to maintain. Scratches very easily.

Congrats on the Shig! I'm glad you found something to fit what you were looking for :doublethumbsup:

Thanks mate, i got a bit excited to see what the fuss is about and bought 2 shig's!!

I was thinking more of hazier Kasumi, but yes, you could get a mirror polish. Which is a true PITA to maintain. Scratches very easily.

Thanks, i suspected it would be hard to keep looking nice.

I mirror-polished a Shig, once. Talk about sticktion city.

Just an update, i received my shig 240 kasumi wa gyuto from JNS in record time and put it straight to use, it is an awesome knife in every respect, here is a couple pics of its first use, just me a shig and a slab of bluefin tuna

9700055417beb6d81f679c4d471fabed.jpg

4e69a3671d7e934f725bee69f98da60d.jpg

I love the knife so much i have a 300 mm Shigefusa kitaeji yanagiba on the way aswell. Now all i want is a Shig deba and i will be one happy camper.

Congrats on the Shig, it's a beauty! Glad you are enjoying it :)

:EDance2: That sounds like Australia has got another Shig addicted.

Back