Help picking a vintage Port

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
Many years ago I would buy my stepfather a bottle of vintage port every year for his birthday. Back in the day Ware, Kroft and Dow were my go-to. Haven't played the game in awhile and thought I would solicit some advice about what's available currently.

Have seen a 20 yr old Dow for $60. Non vintage but interesting. Want to spend less than 100, want it drinkable now (he'll be 93).

What say you esteemed gentlemen?

I wish I knew a thing about port. All I know is my wife’s rich aunt served me some once and it was nothing like the swill I’m used to. So good.

Awe, man, some nice tawney port sounds real good :)

Tawny ports aren't meant for ageing, and they remain pretty much static while the bottle isn't opened. If you see an age on a tawny port, it is the average age of the (barrel-aged) material that has gone into the port. (Legislation varies by country as to exactly what claim can be made as to the age of tawny ports.)

Vintage ports are very different and change markedly with bottle ageing. They are made from a single vintage, and most require 15–20 years of bottle ageing; many don't hit their stride until they reach 30 or more years.

Tawny ports and vintage ports are very different in character and taste. I wouldn't necessarily say that one is "better" than the other. They are different. But you haven't lived until you've tried a decades-old vintage port. Something to put near the top of the bucket list! :)

Last edited:
Some nice ports from Rutherglen, only 30 mins from here. Don't know how severe postage would be to USA though.

http://www.stantonandkilleenwines.com.au/wines/vintage-fortified

https://www.warrabillawines.com.au/Wines/Fortified

If you are interested in blended fortifieds (made according to the solera system), Rutherglen produces several styles widely regarded as world class. Most of these wines are intensely sweet but this is well balanced in the wine.

The local specialty is called Muscat, made from Rutherglen Brown Muscat (Muscat a Petits Grains Rouge). Blends with a younger average age (the cheaper ones) display intense malt, fruitcake and raisin. In the more expensive older blends, flavours increase in intensity and the fruit flavours integrate. A rare Rutherglen muscat (or Tokay) is an amazing experience.

Another local specialty is called Tokay/ Topaque, possibly named for the Hungarian Tokaji. It is made from Muscadelle (which is actually not a muscat grape). The young wines havea distinct black tea character with intense fruitcake and raisins. Older blends again have more intense, integrated flavours.

Tawny ports are also produced and there are some very good examples.

If this style of wine intests you, look at examples from:
Chambers' Rosewood Winery.
Stanton & Killeen.
All Saints.
Morris.
Pfeiffer.
Buller (aka R L Buller).
Campbell's.

Last edited:
Tawny ports and vintage ports are very different in character and taste. I wouldn't necessarily say that one is "better" than the other. They are different. But you haven't lived until you've tried a decades-old vintage port. Something to put near the top of the bucket list! :)

Agreed. But you also haven't lived until you have tried an old blend Rutherglen Muscat or Tokay.

I always buy Taylor fladgate, the 20 is around 50 cad, and the forty is around 150. So of your willing to push your budget you could probably get the 40 for 120-130 usd, they also do a stellar set of four half bottles for $200 cad so maybe $150-160 usd, me and the sommelier and a few of the other wine lovers did a vertical tasting and loved it. I drink the 20 fairly frequently but should note it's actually my main(only) cooking port. It's nothing weird or exotic but it's good, like a tanaka.

For vintage ports Quinta do Noval Nacional is probably top of the heap, but unobtainable. Fonseca, Taylor, and Grahams are all excellent houses. Vintage Madeira is a whole different thing. Indescribable, but try it if you can. LBVs (Late-bottled vintage) and single- quinta Ports can be very good and can be a great value.

Since Tokay was mentioned - these are produced only in Hungary and Slovakia. Taste is quite different to a Port in my limited experience.

Since Tokay was mentioned - these are produced only in Hungary and Slovakia.
Nope: https://www.nicks.com.au/campbells-...cDYXxXW_Y9VMflufga6vI2BSjgF845iEaAgsGEALw_wcB

Tokay has a long history in Australia. It's made from Muscadelle grapes, which are not used in Hungarian tokay.

Lately, Australian tokay has started selling under the label "Topaque". (It's been called "Tokay" in Australia for many decades.) I assume that this is one of those regional things, such as sparkling wine allowed to be called "Champagne" only if it is from the Champagne region.

At any rate, Australian tokay has nothing to do with Hungarian tokay. They are different wines, made in different styles, and are made from different grapes.

Michi.

I suppose if Australian Tokay should be imported in EU it would have to drop the 'Tokay' on the bottle :) (well maybe not, the actual name in EU is Tokaj or Tokaji). For wine to be allowed to be called Tokaj here it must not only come from a certain region, but also be made in a very specific, certified way. It's a big thing here and there were tensions over it as Hungary was not too please that part of the Tokaj region landed in Slovakia as history took its course. I guess I should educate myself more on this topic since I come from Slovakia :)

I suppose if Australian Tokay should be imported in EU it would have to drop the 'Tokay' on the bottle :) (well maybe not, the actual name in EU is Tokaj or Tokaji). For wine to be allowed to be called Tokaj here it must not only come from a certain region, but also be made in a very specific, certified way. It's a big thing here and there were tensions over it as Hungary was not too please that part of the Tokaj region landed in Slovakia as history took its course. I guess I should educate myself more on this topic since I come from Slovakia :)
I think that there are EU-Aus trade negotiotions going on now and a lot of Geographical Indicators are up for debate. Not sure if Tokay is one of them but I think it might be. I think this may be why it got a name change to Topaque.

As Michi mentioned, the only similarity between the Australian wine and the Hungarian is that someone once (maybe a hundred years ago) thought thay were similar wines.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back