D. Martell Help to Design a Forum Knife!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are really winding me up with ideas. I feeling the butcher's knife set is something worth pursuing for the forum knife (well knives in this case) but some of the other ideas can be follow ups.

So what do you all feel is required in a western styled butcher knife set?

Scimitar

Boning knife

???

Here are a few old style butcher knife patterns, some (I believe) not made anymore.

a021_1.jpg

Remington.jpg

Russell 1941.jpg

Universal Wilson Village Blacksmith.jpg

You guys are really winding me up with ideas. I feeling the butcher's knife set is something worth pursuing for the forum knife (well knives in this case) but some of the other ideas can be follow ups.

So what do you all feel is required in a western styled butcher knife set?

Scimitar

Boning knife

???

Just the two, or it's gonna get out of hand (even though we're used to that).

Just the two, or it's gonna get out of hand (even though we're used to that).

yeah, i thought about trying to add a third piece, like a fork or steel, but neither of those things would be worth adding $50-100 to the set. I find forks to be pretty useless, and 99% of people here would rather strop than steel their knife.

if you wanted to add something to make it a bit interesting, maybe a leather fold or roll to hold them? kinda like two sheaths that are connected and can be folded together and then tied, maybe with an additional flap to fold over the handles before closing it up. nice storage solution for home users and pros, can easily be added to a kit bag. and it is more "american" than a traditional saya.

sheath.jpg

kinda like this one. please ignore the over priced and poorly shaped knives.

Warren (Unconundrum) talked about making these years ago, wait until he see this picture.

I always wonder why people are so hooked on the traditional Japanese design, while you can draw a gazillion lines through 3 points and produce a gorgeous design. This was also thinking outside the box. Maybe some of you will like them, while another part of you will dislike them.. These have been posted on FF a long time ago. Yuuga is again just a working title. Want to have one made? Just ask, I'll send a 1/1 outline drawing to work with, same for the others already posted.

Let's start with an outline drawing of the gyotos;
yuugaGyoto.jpg

And, the sujis;
yuugaSujihiki.jpg

And a pimped version of gyotos and a suji below;
yuugaCollectie.jpg

i still think the butcher's duo is the most interesting forum knife idea, but if you wanted to eventually expand the line to gyutos and sujis, to make them unique, offer them in "half sizes". i know shige and nenox have some of them, but a lot of people cannot afford either of those, but would benefit from 225/255/285mm gyutos and sujis.

i still think the butcher's duo is the most interesting forum knife idea, but if you wanted to eventually expand the line to gyutos and sujis, to make them unique, offer them in "half sizes". i know shige and nenox have some of them, but a lot of people cannot afford either of those, but would benefit from 225/255/285mm gyutos and sujis.

Maybe it's because I'm a newbie knife nut, but I'm a little confused about what you mean by "half size" gyutos and sujis.

Do you literally mean something like 120mm or 135mm gyutos or what?

Thanks,
Lyle

I'm getting really excited about running with the butcher knife set idea, this is getting my creative juices flowing. :D

Why don't we focus on this and start discussing what we want from these knives?

Maybe it's because I'm a newbie knife nut, but I'm a little confused about what you mean by "half size" gyutos and sujis.

Do you literally mean something like 120mm or 135mm gyutos or what?

Thanks,
Lyle

Haha no. That was my sneakerhead part of my brain talking. Half size meaning half way between the regular sizes. like in shoes 9.5, 10.5, etc would be half sizes. and for knives, the standard sizes being 210, 240, 270, and 300mm, half sizes would be 225, 255, 285mm.

Dave Martell said:
I'm getting really excited about running with the butcher knife set idea, this is getting my creative juices flowing.

Why don't we focus on this and start discussing what we want from these knives?

Great! Maybe we should start a new thread so people who have given up on this one or dont want to read through 12 pages can get right to it and contribute to the butchers set idea.

Haha no. That was my sneakerhead part of my brain talking. Half size meaning half way between the regular sizes. like in shoes 9.5, 10.5, etc would be half sizes. and for knives, the standard sizes being 210, 240, 270, and 300mm, half sizes would be 225, 255, 285mm.

Great! Maybe we should start a new thread so people who have given up on this one or dont want to read through 12 pages can get right to it and contribute to the butchers set idea.

Good idea - I'm on it! :)

Hmm maybe something like a honesuke and a petty/boning knife combined. Or like a kiritsuke tip boning knife?

I realize Dave wants to focus on the butchers knives, but since i rarely have a need for these...

How about a very laser thin gyuto in Masamoto KS shape, AEB-L or another good stainless? Wa of course.

Back