Hi. New here

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thrive

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just signed up. I've poked around and lurked a little, but not very much. I'm a professional cook (I wouldn't call myself a chef or anything) and have been for just a few years now. Just started getting into some nice Japanese knives the last few months. IDK what else to say. I hope to learn a lot here.

So far all I have for Japanese knives is an Ikazuchi 240mm gyuto. I've had it for maybe a month and a half and I'm loving it so far, but I'm realizing its' limitations. I have to cut a lot of half-frozen tuna and it obviously doesn't work for that. Does great after it's seared though.

Other than that I have some Wusthof Classics that I bought in a block set a couple years ago. My chef's knife got destroyed when I forgot it at work one day, so I'm left with a santoku (which I always liked more anyway), an 8" bread knife, a paring knife and some steak knives. Basically everything I need and nothing more.

I'm looking for a new 240 stainless workhorse wa-gyuto, which is the main reason I signed up, so I can get some recommendations.

So far all I have for Japanese knives is an Ikazuchi 240mm gyuto. I've had it for maybe a month and a half and I'm loving it so far, but I'm realizing its' limitations. I have to cut a lot of half-frozen tuna and it obviously doesn't work for that. Does great after it's seared though.

Other than that I have some Wusthof Classics that I bought in a block set a couple years ago. My chef's knife got destroyed when I forgot it at work one day, so I'm left with a santoku (which I always liked more anyway), an 8" bread knife, a paring knife and some steak knives. Basically everything I need and nothing more.

I'm looking for a new 240 stainless workhorse wa-gyuto, which is the main reason I signed up, so I can get some recommendations.

Cool cool, what do you have in mind regarding with 240 stainless workhorse?

I'm not really sure, honestly. I've been looking around but haven't found exactly what I want. A couple people suggested a Kaeru which looks decent for the price, but I can't find a saya for it. I'll need to carry it around, so I'll definitely need one.

I'm not really sure, honestly. I've been looking around but haven't found exactly what I want. A couple people suggested a Kaeru which looks decent for the price, but I can't find a saya for it. I'll need to carry it around, so I'll definitely need one.

Depends on how much are you willing to spend, I am sure there are other options, but Kaeru is a really good one. You should open another thread to post for suggestions.

Depends on how much are you willing to spend, I am sure there are other options, but Kaeru is a really good one. You should open another thread to post for suggestions.

I already did. :) You can check it out here if you want:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/looking-for-a-240mm-gyuto.39040/

I don't mind to spend money to get what I want, but I'm also not into being wasteful or paying extra for things just because they look cool. I'm also gonna have to save money for it so I'll have to be patient about it either way. So my budget is sort of unlimited within reason.

You will learn a lot here. Something new everyday.

Back