Hinoki cutting board

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big D

Reaction score
I just received one as a gift. I have always been under the impression that they were to be used as is. Online I see many that apparently recommend the use of oil and board butter. What do those of you that own them do?
Thanks
D.

I just bought one for my daughter. Medium size Shun. The folks where I bought it said it didn't need any treatment - just to wet both sides before using - but that it would also do no harm to treat it. I applied my standard home-brew coconut oil/beeswax mixture and we also sprayed both sides with some water before using. Only used it once but it seems to work.

Cheers,
Gareth

@Gareth - Yes, did not figure that conditioning would be a problem. I know some members here have gone through several of them, so figured I would ask how they cared for them.
Thank you for replying.
D.

As far as I know Japanese boards made from Hinoki or Aomori don't need any special treatment prior to use such as oiling.

If there are instructions then that is all you need. For my board prior to using it I wipe it with a warm/hot damp kitchen towel. Once I am done with the board I rinse it with boiling water then using the non-abrasive side of a sponge with mild diluted kitchen detergent and rinsing again with warm water. These boards have anti-bacterial properties and don't need vigorous cleaning plus boiling water will kill any salmonella, e-coli and coliforms. I let it dry in an open space leaning against a wall or someone sort of support where there is no direct sunlight.

Back