Hiromoto 210 Gyuto resuscitation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Mike

Reaction score
Used Murray Carter’s 7 step process from his Basic Sharpening video, King 1000 and 6000 stones, and wet/dry sandpaper. The Hiromoto knife has an interesting geometry - flat with a small primary edge on the left side, and tapered with a low angle primary edge on the right side.

N24KdYi.jpg

KYyt91d.jpg

xXBDMH5.jpg

wZYiC7G.jpg

zBi7cVz.jpg

0gQfG2i.jpg

Nice job! Tons of work but I love seeing neglected blades with lots of life left brought back.

Hiromoto HC I guess?
Just curious: what was the reason you left the small imperfections at the edge and went to finer stones?

... it shouldn't be that much more work if you have a 300 or whatever stone.

Hi @Benuser - I’m not sure, but I think it’s a Hiromoto Gin-3. For the imperfections, chalk it up to being a rookie. I’ve been using it and it cuts great, so instead of going back right away to fix them I’ll wait til it needs sharpening again. After a few sharpenings should be all good.

Hi @Benuser - I’m not sure, but I think it’s a Hiromoto Gin-3. For the imperfections, chalk it up to being a rookie. I’ve been using it and it cuts great, so instead of going back right away to fix them I’ll wait til it needs sharpening again. After a few sharpenings should be all good.
Not sure about the Gin-3, the first photo shows what I'd understand as patina. That's why I thought it was a carbon one.

You’re probably right. These are pics of writing on the knife. I have no idea what the Japanese writing means.

kAYjszk.jpg

5iuNc6F.jpg

Actually the writing is on a 240 mm gyuto that seems to be the same as the smaller one.

Neither do I.
As for the small chip: leaving it as it is, is what I might do when I know what happened.
With an unknown knife though, I would like to make sure there's no crack.

Back