Hitohira Ren WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few years back, I purchased a Hitohira Kikuchiyo Ren white 2 gyuto as a knife that would expand my knowledge in sharpening and polishing. It taught me a lot about dealing with imperfections and experimenting with bevel shaping and polishing. I wrapped up by trying to emulate the stock aesthetic last winter and tested the knife in my rotation for a while.

IMG_20230113_112048.jpg

First patina from testing my Ren - January 2023

There were a few things I want to improve in my future work on this knife:

- nice polish on bevels
- diagonal finish on flat
- change handle

I am currently working on achieving the diagonal finish. There are some deep low spots on the flat, so I am attempting to do this with sandpaper. I rigged up a sandpaper holder that I could rub the knife on, using a stone holder, wrapping sandpaper over the back side of atoma plate and some thin felt for backing the paper. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the tension I wanted on the sandpaper. my first attempt was not clean. The sandpaper was too loose and I slipped, accidentally grinding down the heel. I stopped early and didn't remove all the low-grit scratches because of this slip-up. I believe that my method has potential, a cleaner setup with more tension could produce the results I was looking for. Here is the result of my first attempt:

IMG_20230619_102536.jpg

DIY sandpaper holder result

I purchased a Kasfly from AliExpress. With the Kasfly I did the previous grit scratch removal with the included rubber backer since it was more precise than my felt backing. Once I fully erased the scratches I switched to my felt backer and full long strokes to get a more even finish and prevent j-hooks.

IMG_20230626_220616.jpg

Kasfly set up

After one round of long strokes, it was getting late and I decided to call it there. This was my first mistake, I should have run through a fresh sandpaper strip to fully get rid of stray sanding marks.

I then proceeded to quickly buff the knife with some koyo blue and a cotton pad. I tested buffing horizontally, but this introduced some surface-level scratches. Next time I will take more care at the buffing step to prevent any grit contamination, and I will follow the scratch pattern instead.
I did a quick clean-up of the main bevel on medium grit stone to make sure the geometry was crisp. There's some staining already as I was using tap water. Next time I will add some baking soda.

Here is the result of my attempt. I'm happy with my progress since my first try and learned some good lessons.

IMG_20230627_083650.jpg
IMG_20230627_093750.jpg

Diagonal flat attenpt 2

IMG_20230627_093854.jpg

Scratches from a botched buffing experiment

To be continued/updated as I experiment further. Thanks for reading and please share any feedback or suggestions.

Took another shot at the diagonal finish on the hira last night. I'm happier with the results this time. I pretty much changed what I pointed out in my OP.

Next step is to refine the bevels and prep for finishing.

View attachment 251714

View attachment 251715
Nice work so far and kudos for taking on a serious project!

As you're refining the bevels, make sure you lifting from the handle and rotating towards the spine as you work the tip. You can already see where the hira at the very tip has spilled over and is following the spine down the blade road. Lifting and rotating can help correct that and keep the shinogi following the edge profile.

Back