Homebutcher done lost they mind.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reground my 10” Zkramer 52100 to this and I’m very satisfied with it now. I got it from homebutcher as well.
996D5991-EB90-440A-8E7D-770FA4A2A997.jpeg

That’s really nice work. Could you tell me your thinning process? How long did it take you?
Thanks. I used this machine followed by sandpapers and it took me a day (~3 hours on grinder and <1 hour on sandpapers)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZG9WNMF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_iO7bFbSZAESBK
It was my first time using it so there were a lot to improve. First thing I want to mention is the carbon steel knife will rust during thinning as it contacts water all the time. My solution is adding some baking soda/powder in the water which works really well. Second is remember to not stay too long on one spot, otherwise you might get some grooves. Overall I like it very much.

Last edited:
Thanks. I used this machine followed by sandpapers and it took me a day (~3 hours on grinder and <1 hour on sandpapers)
WEN BG4270 10" Two-Direction Water Cooled Wet/Dry Sharpening System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZG9WNMF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_iO7bFbSZAESBK
That’s awesome, might have to invest in one of that down the road. I have a lot of Chinese cleavers needs thinning. I have no experience with this kind of machine. Does it need practice to get better at it?

That’s awesome, might have to invest in one of that down the road. I have a lot of Chinese cleavers needs thinning. I have no experience with this kind of machine. Does it need practice to get better at it?
Yes for sure. The first knife I worked on got rust during thinning which made it yellow-ish even after light polishing. It got some grooves too that were really hard to remove. But to be honest I like the way it looks so I didn’t bother to re-do it. The 2nd one became much better since I added baking powder in the water and I paid a lot attention to make sure the knife grind is as smooth as possible. So it needs practice but I think it won’t be too difficult for an experienced forum member.

Yes for sure. The first knife I worked on got rust during thinning which made it yellow-ish even after light polishing. It got some grooves too that were really hard to remove. But to be honest I like the way it looks so I didn’t bother to re-do it. The 2nd one became much better since I added baking powder in the water and I paid a lot attention to make sure the knife grind is as smooth as possible. So it needs practice but I think it won’t be too difficult for an experienced forum member.
Good to know. Thanks

Good to know. Thanks
Btw I was able to remove 3-5 grams of steel per hour using that machine. 3-4 grams/hour for the zkramer 52100 and 5 grams/hour for munetoshi white 2. Probably because the munetoshi is sanmai knife and the soft clad is easier to remove. I tried the 52100 by hand once and I removed 3 grams after 3 hours on shapton glass 220.

I reground my 10” Zkramer 52100 to this and I’m very satisfied with it now. I got it from homebutcher as well.
View attachment 86630
So sick. I bought one of those custom handles from home butcher with the intention of thinning. I actually held off because it preformed quite well right out of the box. Ended up selling it before I ever tried thinning.

Back