Honesuki sharpening 2.0

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pie

you.. you got any more of them rocks?
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooooo that single bevel honesuki I bought, I’m doing the initial sharpening on it and ran into a few odd things. Maybe not odd but I’m incredibly green when it comes to single bevels.

1. It’s hollow ground. Flattening it out was no problem, but the lows at the tip and heel - do I rotate the sharpening stroke and follow the curves? Aside from removing a huge amount of steel, this is the only thing I can think of. Otherwise leave it and polish it up once I’m past low grits?

2. It’s lightly convexed from tip to heel. Flatten? Or retain convex?

3. It came with a rather large secondary bevel. Edge bevel. Whatever. Is this supposed to be here, possibly for added strength for bone impact? Beta togi would take literal weeks at my pace, so I’m using hamaguri technique to chew it down to zero grind. It’s a little late to be asking this as I’ve hit zero on most of the edge, but if single bevel honesuki is traditionally sharpening with a secondary bevel I’ll reintroduce it. I had previously thought most single bevels weren’t supposed to have one.

Halfway through the hollow grind
FBBA8CEF-2C88-4652-A056-F11709C556DE.jpeg

Flat - hamaguri incoming. I’m unlikely to convex the shinogi side of the bevel, as food release shouldn’t be a consideration.
09CEA3F6-3F74-4B30-AB07-662B3EA8AA34.jpeg

You can see the lows at the heel/tip, and some indication of convexing in the second picture (uneven polish on the jigane)

Anyone with knowledge of how these are supposed to look after initial sharpen, please enlighten me!

Up to you if you want a micro bevel -- that's totally user preference on toughness

Yeah rotate the knife to sharpen the tip and heel, like twirling a stick. That axis, the long axis.

Convexing up to you haha... Flatter is always easier to maintain and sharpens faster, lotsa black comes out on the stones

Honesuki as a pure single bevel is kinda weird, haha... Like a single bevel gyuto kinda. If it's sharpened like a correct single bevel it would be too brittle for deboning, so just make it as tough as you'd need

Latest posts

Back