Honesuki versus deba - or just buy both?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can go through a thigh bone with the heel of a honesuki without fearing chipping the edge (Dont try this with Kato or Toyama honesuki, tho). It's basially a 90/10 crow bar
So, yesterday I tried my new Misono Swedish honesuki for the first time breaking down a guinea fowl (pintade). Wow, I can see how this shape works for this purpose. Very convenient and fast. I did hesitate when needing to break down the bone - and took out an old Kiwi knife to finish the job. It wasn’t even such a tough bone, as the bird was only 1 kilogram so quite young. Will try the honesuki heel next time. Thanks for the suggestion, the Misono seems an excellent choice.

Glad to see you got the Honesuki. I love mine. It is really a sleeper in most kitchen arsenals. I find it works well with anything needing a stiff blade and won't suffer with a little bit of 'wedging'.

I’ve got both. Deba for filleting and breaking down fish. Got the honesuki for breaking down chickens. Both are great for their purpose. I guess I would ask myself how often I am doing those tasks.

Back