How Curvy Do You Like Your Sujihiki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSicardCutlery

Full-time Knifemaker-Canadian Mazaki
KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
It crossed my mind some time ago that while I see plenty of talk on the edge curvature of gyuto and cleavers and even to some extent nakiri, I can't find any discussion about same sort of preferences for sujihiki. Looking into the realm of designated meat cutting knives I see a lot more variation in curvature and tip design than I do with more general purpose blades, so it's got me thinking. Do you tend to prefer flatter sujihiki, or curvier blades with more belly? I get the feeling that absolute flatness is much less critical for cutting meats with draw cuts but that a full length curve probably doesn't present any advantage over a blade with a flat section

I think that suji naturally have a pretty flat profile. Pretty hard to avoid with the long length and short height. I do like some up sweep near the tip since most cuts are draw cuts. It's nice to have a little flexibility on where the tip is touching the board, as opposed to a flat k tip where you are inevitably dragging the very tip on the board. .

Embrace the flat. Maybe a little upsweep.

I use a flashy cimitar (Marko) when I'm slicing in front of a crowd. Rolling the blade is a bit of extra work, more fatiguing, , less precise..

0D87DC4A-8DD1-4ABD-8B14-7E73F0E34526.jpeg

(Yea, flat, upswept tip.)

This is very reassuring to hear. I tend towards flatter suji, but that was more of an intuitive judgement than anything.

If its good enough to cut through torso, its good enough for my brisket!
You may be slightly overcooking your brisket 😁

That is quite similar to a bread knife. I've seen at least one like it before, though I can't place where...

Back