how often do you (have to) shapen your kato in pro kitchen?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orange

Reaction score
well...subject line says it all.
just like to guage wear resistance of a kato compared to some of those high hrc steel knives made of cowry-x or zdp189 kind.

thanks

Of course, impossible to answer because it'll all depend on how the knife is used and how the knife is sharpened - for example, how fine. Interesting to hear some feedback though.

well, i can't exactly give you the information you're asking for as i am no longer using knives in a pro kitchen. however, i have cooked professionally and now own 2 Katos so I'll go as far to make this observation:
The Katos have what I consider very good or above average edge retention. Many have said they thought they were superior to Shigs in ER but I'd say my experience places them pretty much even.
How long between sharpening? There's an insane amount of variables here. If i was still doing a lot of precise and detailed cutting of vegetables, I'd probably take the Katos to a finishing stone daily. In a 'standard' western kitchen where knife work is less frequent and less precise, you could probably go almost a week with care and a strong starting edge.

I guess it is not a right question for what I like to understand;
let me restate it, ceteris paribus, comparing a kato with a cowry-x or zdp189 kind, what would you say about kato's retention? say almost equal, 0.75x, 0.5x, and 0.25x?? Or suprisingly better (> 1x) ?? :)

Back